[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

I also have the issue where sometimes when I click rendezvous autopilot, when nearing final approach it will say time till next node 69 days ,69 hrs ,69 mins and will freeze up my game unless i disable autopilot and click remove all nodes in manoeuvre planner :/

If you mean not helpful about the sepratrons, I suggest looking at the spacecraft exchange or the how to sub forum to see how they are used for stage seperation. They are effective for any size craft, be it 10t lifters or 1000t lifters, as the pieces all come off in smaller sections.

That's not a very helpful answer, KhaosCorp, especially since the suggestion is still a very legitimate one. I, personally, second it gladly.

It is helpful. MJ2 stages perfectly fine during accent, so long as the stages are rigged to drop right. You shouldn't be changing your accent path to accommodate staging. Instead your rocket should be built to work along its intended flight path.

Seeing as how only a couple people have voiced issues with MJ2 accent staging that leads one to think its on the users end on not an issue with the mod.

I am honestly not trying to be an ass here, I want to help. I want everyone to be able to use MJ2 to its fullest, as I feel its one of the better tools at a KSP pilots disposal.

And this kinda goes back to what I was talking about (several pages ago) before, and several others say it often enough too....

MechJeb2 is NOT a pilot, its pilot assistance computer. The more effort the pilot makes the more effective MJ2 will be...this applys directly to the staging matter.

A little more effort on the pilots part during building and there would be no staging issues.

I also have the issue where sometimes when I click rendezvous autopilot, when nearing final approach it will say time till next node 69 days ,69 hrs ,69 mins and will freeze up my game unless i disable autopilot and click remove all nodes in manoeuvre planner :/

Me to as well!!!:(

I think the rendev autopilot issue is more an issue with MJ2 dealing with layered nodes. Ive noticed this happen a couple times just using maneuver planner to make several nodes at once. Seems to me like if there is more than one or two node set MJ will freak out a bit. Seems like it crosses over into how the rendev autopilot operates.

Seems to me like that whole feature was meant as a learning aid instead of an actual autopilot. Everything it does can be done by the pilot in the maneuver planner, I think its purpose it to show you the steps so you can plan them.

The only other time I see MJ do this is when planning a maneuver over vast distance, mainly interplanetary transfers. But I only saw that a couple times when I was testing since I typicaly don't use MJ to do injection burns, he kinda wastes a lot of Dv.

In many ways you can really tell its mech version of Jeb brain....=P

Learn to properly use Seperatrons and this would not be an issue.

If a rocket is pivoting around it's COM while seperatrons are firing and falling away it doesn't matter than they're properly oriented or not. The aft end of the rocket may impact one of the boosters. You can't have TOO much thrust with the seperatrons as you'll blow the structure of the expended booster.

My SHLV (that's SuperHeavyLaunchVehicle) is 386 parts, made of the orange rockomax tanks, and has 10 stages just for accent into LKO. I have NEVER had an issues with spent stages getting in the way, and MJ2 can get that badboy into LKO all on his own with a 150ton payload.....

Your issue is not with mechjeb, but rather how you choose to build launch vehicles.

A larger heavier vehicle is going to steer slower than a medium sized vehicle that's expended most of the core stage fuel and dropping boosters.

Kicking the nose of an expended booster back is useful. Too much lateral force just exposes your core to the efflux from the seperatrons and possible damage.

my fav boost rocket base, has never had a collision during stage sep with sepatrons,

seps fire up and out along the tanks tilted up axis, tanks are angled in towards the engine at the bottom, so the closest point is lowest on the rocket,

when the seps fire everything moves up out and away and then down as the rocket moves up the center and the tanks fall away like petals of a flower

ZwHADZMl.jpg

You can get enough lateral thrust to clear even the biggest stages from a core with seperatrons without pointing them anywhere near the core.

I can take some pics if yall would like.

For smaller vehicles I have found trying to get the stages go strait out is kinda bad during turns, i use a kinda pinwheel method for small stages. The whole stage goes out, but the top spins outward as well, gives you that little extra space a lot faster a smaller core needs.

edit: here is my SHLV, you can see the only seperatrons used in on this build in the shot.

wpJeNu5.png

The only thing i would do different from this for smaller stages droping from agile core is to put single seperatron at the top facing the top of stage, like this:

gGUpfsy.png

For this set up you will need to 'tune' the placement of the bottom set to get the right separation.

Edited by KhaosCorp
pic

I add those cases to my command pod AND to my 2nd or 3rd stage boosters so I can de orbit them or reuse them for other functions once my orbiter has circularized.

In one case I'll take those partially expended boosters and then shift their orbits to dock with my in orbit fuel repository, dump most of the remaining fuel there and then de-orbit the extra bits.

FYI about using sepratrons, since we're talking about them now,, you can have them firing directly towards other stages of your rocket without fearing the exhaust actually destroying anything. As long as there aren't more than 5 sepratrons firing Directly at a single part from less than a meter away you won't be able to blow parts up.

I add those cases to my command pod AND to my 2nd or 3rd stage boosters so I can de orbit them or reuse them for other functions once my orbiter has circularized.

In one case I'll take those partially expended boosters and then shift their orbits to dock with my in orbit fuel repository, dump most of the remaining fuel there and then de-orbit the extra bits.

YES THIS!!

I almost never have to send up refueling missions to my LKO station since I started doing this. Easy to build as well, really don't have to change rocket design to make it workable.

You just have to remember to decouple the docking ports and not decouple the decoupler. ;-)

I did this last and then went to dock my next segment and found I had something in the way.

Can you please make MechJeb purely Plugin based so it doesn't need a part any more? Come on, the housing part is neither aesthetic nor necessary, is it?

I vote no to this idea. I like to choose when to include MechJeb and when to leave it off.

@Spanier - you can add the PartModules to your probes and pods either by editing the cfg's or by using ModuleManager. I think I've seen someone release some stuff where they already did that.

I manually added MechJeb functionality to all cockpits and probes as well. It was more to help keep part counts down on the larger rockets (I also integrated other mods this way such as Chatterer, Protractor, etc.) to help combat lag. I still use the AR202 case if I want control over separate stages to deorbit them.

Call me silly but I like the look of the AR202 part, it add to the look of most craft. Really like it for space stations and bases, I always put it close to where my green dudes EVA. I like how struts look too lol. Anything that makes my builds look more industrial I'm fond of.

Stack separators rather than decoupler?

Well, in this particular case a decoupler shroud base attached to a common berthing port set.

I wish there was a way to select and lock a decoupler.

Anyone having issues with mechjeb and docking? I get in to like 5km of an object and spams me with null pointers that don't allow me to save, or go back to space centre, and when I try to switch vessels I switch to an invisible object that just keeps moving away... :S

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:get_rigidbody ()

at Vessel.recurseCoMs (.Part part, UnityEngine.Vector3& CoM, System.Single& c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.recurseCoMs (.Part part, UnityEngine.Vector3& CoM, System.Single& c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.findWorldCenterOfMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Vessel.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException

at MuMech.VesselState.Update (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at MuMech.MechJebCore.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

NullReferenceException

Question regarding multiple MechJeb modules on a single ship:

I have a lander and a large vessel, both with mechjeb modules. After docking the lander with the large vessel and looking at the delta-v numbers, it seems like I'm only seeing the delta-v for the lander, and not for the large vessel. Is there a way to switch between modules? Or deactivate the one on the lander?

Is there any suggestions on how the MechJeb 1 parts can be fixed, I don't understand exactly how they are broken, I followed the tutorial in the making mods section, but they are still borked.

-Æ

I so this in a Blog around here, and i do not use yet, but the guy who post it, tell that this is working.

So, i upload to my dropbox for you. Need the Mechjeb 2 installed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5w9c1qh2fbh8nn/MechJeb.zip