Interstellar Extended

Deadpangod3

Can someone please explain how all these confusing Interstellar Extended engines work? my mind is mush trying to figure it out. :confused:

I've tried to use the VASMIR but it wouldn't work at all when I had everything I thought I needed.

Then i tried using the plasma thruster but in the VAB Mechjeb said I had over 20 km/s of dv, but as soon as id go to the launchpad it went down to 4000 m/s, and the TWR was already at .4! in the VAB it said 1.04.

I have no clue how the fuel the engine uses affects the dv, and how "Quantum Vacuum" is a propellant, according to the fuel modes.

What i've gathered so far is that reactors produce thermal power and charged particles and engines can run on either with another propellant, leaving the other to be used with a generator to produce power to power the ship (right?), and various other things, but 'm getting the dv of a regular rocket with the TWR of an Ion somehow, with no idea what i'm doing wrong. :confused:

Welp, I can clear up some of this.

The disconnect between VAB stats and on the Pad is because of how engines work in the post 1.0 world. What shows in the VAB (If you're using KER/VOID/MechJeb) for DV and TWR stats is based on what it would be in a vaccum, ie, Space. Unless you set those mods to calculate the stats for the atmosphere, the stats won't tell you how it'll perform until you are already in orbit.

As for the stuff that directly pertains to KSPI-E, someone who plays it more will have to clear that up.

Welp' date=' I can clear up some of this.

The disconnect between VAB stats and on the Pad is because of how engines work in the post 1.0 world. What shows in the VAB (If you're using KER/VOID/MechJeb) for DV and TWR stats is based on what it would be in a vaccum, ie, Space. Unless you set those mods to calculate the stats for the atmosphere, the stats won't tell you how it'll perform until you are already in orbit.

As for the stuff that directly pertains to KSPI-E, someone who plays it more will have to clear that up.[/quote']

I was reading the space delta V in Mechjeb, and it even remained like that after I launched into orbit, i even thrusted around a bit to make sure it wasn't just stuck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.