Cannot Activate Engines While Stowed

I'm trying to use to make a reusable launcher. The last stage of the launcher has a fairing. The Payload is attached with a assistance probe that has 4 engines up top. The fairing only covers up to the probes nosecone. Essentially I'm trying to make something like a petal adapter from KW. However, I cant seem to make sure the payload can separate without the fairings decoupling (stock fairings). This leads to my problem, I cant undock the payload through action groups (I cant afford a right click in a video) without the game not allowing me to activate the probes engine. If this seems confusing then here's a picture of the rocket.

Cpd5X9Q.png

The can't activate engines while stowed bug is a known issue. Make sure you stage the fairing before you attempt to activate them or decouple. If you've already done that you can return to the space center and back to the craft.

The game simply does not allow for true interstage fairings, at all. Even if the engines would engage, the nose cone would rip the fairing apart.

Edited by Alshain

The can't activate engines while stowed bug is a known issue. Make sure you stage the fairing before you attempt to activate them or decouple. If you've already done that you can return to the space center and back to the craft.

The game simply does not allow for true interstage fairings, at all. Even if the engines would engage, the nose cone would rip the fairing apart.

Well that's disappointing, thanks for the answer.

I make re-usable launchers all the time. You have to build the booster stage with a probe core (one protected by a cone or fairing), and sufficient batteries, and it has to be designed so that after it stages and you fly the main vehicle, it will still be above 25km after you've built the orbit with the main vehicle (because otherwise its likely to disappear). After you've built the orbit with the main vehicle, switch to the booster, which should still be gliding along somewhere above 25km from the surface. With your probe core attached, it's just like a vehicle now, re-enter and splashdown. I've cut my launch costs in half with this. I usually have 1 radial parachute per 2t empty weight, with some drogues for good measure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.