Unmodded KSP crashes on startup

Hi!

I've been playing KSP with the community 64-bit workaround and some 80+ mods installed for several months without any issue whatsoever. When I clicked the KSP icon on my laptop yesterday, however, it crashed almost imediatley. An error message poped up, saying the game had crashed and asked me send the error log to the developers. I took a lokk at the error log file, but understood little of it. I figured the problem whould go away if I reistalled KSP and removed every folder, so as to start from scratch. When i did installed it again, now the vanilla 32-bit version with no mods installed, the problem still persist and I am at a loss.

Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

The KSP version is 1.0.4. I'm running an ASUS gaming laptop with Intel i7 processor, NVIDIA GTX 860 graphics card and 16 gb RAM.

Here is the error log that was created:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.6.4f1_99f88340878d]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module KSP.exe at 0023:00000000.

Error occurred at 2015-10-31_135134.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Sebastian.

24% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [3872 MB free].

Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:

EDI: 0x00d33488 ESI: 0x00d33328 EAX: 0x00d3348c

EBX: 0x706e2b80 ECX: 0x00bd0480 EDX: 0x00bd4c47

EIP: 0x00000000 EBP: 0x0104f4dc SegCs: 0x00000023

EFlags: 0x00210246 ESP: 0x0104f3a4 SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:

?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Edited by sebbemann

Great, those work fine, and I think I see the cause of your problem, your output_log.txt has this at the top:

Initialize engine version: 4.6.4f1 (99f88340878d)

GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1

d3d: no support for this device type (accelerated/ref)

D3D9 initialization failed

d3d11: failed to create D3D11 device (0x887a0004)

D3D11 initialization failed

D3D9/D3D11 initialization failed, trying OpenGL

OpenGL:

Version: OpenGL 1.1 [1.1.0]

Renderer: GDI Generic

Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

VRAM: 1995 MB (via DXGI)

Extensions: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture

Crash!!!

This means that no drivers were found, KSP was unable to start in any DirectX mode and fell back to OpenGL, unfortunately the only OpenGL driver it found was the bog standard built-in Microsoft Windows driver.

This driver is only suitable for being able to see while installing a real graphics driver.

Also, your Dxdiag shows you have both an Intel HD 4600 and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M , so your laptop may currently be on powersaving mode which will disable the Nvidia, leaving only the Intel card to run KSP, but if there are no Intel drivers installed it'll fail to work.

So plug your laptop in, make sure it is not on a powersaving mode and try again.

However if you recently upgraded to Windows 10 it may be that your Nvidia driver was uninstalled, if so you will need to get the latest driver from the Nvidia website and install it.

Don't forget to reboot after installing graphics drivers so they will work.

Fantastic! Installing new drivers drom Nvidia did the trick. I updated to Windows 10 a few weeks ago, and the Nvidia graphics driver must have been deleted when I installed a security package for windows the other day.

Amazing how you you just know stuff like that :) Thank you very much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.