PSA: Do not Maintain an Active Flight for over 20 hours.

G'th

So, today I ran into an interesting bug. Or at least what appears to be one.

Anyway, I sent up a Shuttle Spacelab type mission last night around this time, and because I had to go to bed I just let the game sit and had it as a screensaver, like I might do with the ISS HDEV page.

When I woke up this morning to go to work, my shuttle was still in orbit and was just fine. So I went to work. Now, some 9 hours later, I come home and inexplicably my shuttle flight had popped up with the "Catastrophic Failure" box. After looking at the flight log, it appears that inexplicably around hour 15 or so of the flight (which was like, 3 Kerbal Days), my shuttle somehow went from a stable 185x120 orbit to crashing straight into the launchpad. However, the camera had not moved from I think is a point in the orbit close to apoapsis. It was as if the ship just exploded and I was stuck in its last location.

So, barring someone breaking into my apartment and somehow causing my ship to explode, I believe I have run into a bug.

So, don't maintain an active flight for 15 hours, at least.

Microdrag is to blame! Just kidding, that doesn't exist in KSP. You got the elusive launch pad bug. It happens to me often when flying planes, they just explode in flight randomly. I think Claw would appreciate it if you give a detailed report in the bug report section.. I don' t think this bug is reliably reproducible. I hope you quicksaved before the crash.:D

Because' date=' much like with the ISS HDEV, it was pretty and a nice thing to wake up to.[/quote']

Ah. I wish I could leave KSP on as a screensaver without having to deal with the loud whine and whoosh noises from my dinky laptop cooling fans. (Does the MacBook Pro even have fans? How do they fit a fan in something with the approximate thickness of a chocolate bar?)

^ This is true. Do not leave KSP running for more than a few hours. Even if you're actively playing - close and restart it if you have to.

Most of us don't have to worry about running KSP for more than a few hours do to crashes. KSP has a built-in force restart feature!

I do not think this has to do with leaving the game on for a long time. I've had that bug of crashing into the launchpad a couple of times, when nowhere near it, but passing exactly over it in orbit. I'd guess that due to your orbit's inclination, you passed right over KSC after some 15 hours of real time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.