Probable memory leak on Yosemite

After playing on Mavericks last autumn, without any problems at all, I have re-installed KSP (latest version 1.0.4 from Steam), and this time I'm running Yosemite.

And I'm having the exact same instability problems that were described under http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3404. Randomly, upon scene switching (recover vessel or revert flight), the game will sometimes crash, or freeze with the "progress indicator" running, but nothing happening at all. This seems to happen on every other flight or so. The game is playable, but not very.

Mods installed (via CKAN):

• Advanced Jet Engine 2.4.1
  • Analog Control 1.6.1
  • Animate Emissive Module 1.11
  • Better buoyancy 1.4
  • Community tech tree 2.1
  • Connected Living Space 1.1.3.1
  • Crossfeeds Enabler 3.3
  • Deadly Reentry Continued 7.2.2
  • FAR 3:0.15.5.1
  • ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.1
  • Module Manager 2.6.8
  • ModuleRCSFX 4.2
  • Procedural Fairings 3.15
  • RealChute 1.3.2.3
  • Solver Engines Plugin 1.11
  • Stage Recovery 1.5.7
  • Tantares 30.0
  • Tantares LV 14.0

Could someone share some information about the state of the MacOS version? Reading up on the Internet, it seems widely accepted that it's unstable on Yosemite, yet the bug I've found is old (0.24) and closed (even though it perfectly describes my problems on 1.0.4), and there is little discussion here about OS X...

Here's the log file.

Edited by S1gmoid

S1gmoid, your log errors are very different to the logs in the report you linked, so they are not likely to be related, ie not the same cause.

Your log is showing stuff I've not seen before, but it looks like something tried to allocate memory that wasn't available.

KSP(1352,0xa11401d4) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=67108864) failed (error code=3)

*** error: can't allocate region

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

The rest of the log is mostly just repeated lines and a stack trace with no indication as to what caused it.

#2550x00000001392856 in mono_traverse_objects

Stacktrace:

Native stacktrace:

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9747669a __pthread_kill + 10

1 libsystem_c.dylib 0x95c40dee abort + 156

2 KSP 0x0034a822 _Z12HandleSignaliP9__siginfoPv + 34

3 libmono.0.dylib 0x0139081a mono_chain_signal + 76

4 libmono.0.dylib 0x012daae2 mono_sigsegv_signal_handler + 234

5 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x9441703b _sigtramp + 43

6 ??? 0xffffffff 0x0 + 4294967295

7 libmono.0.dylib 0x01483af8 g_ptr_array_set_size + 83

8 libmono.0.dylib 0x01391f4d array_safe_grow + 79

9 libmono.0.dylib 0x01392642 mono_add_process_object + 100

10 libmono.0.dylib 0x01392849 mono_traverse_objects + 440

But that error has been reported on the Unity forums and looks to be related to parts.

So my advice is to try removing addons one at a time, especially anything with animations even if it's just lighting effects, and see if this problem goes away.

Thanks for the hints... So far it seems that Analog Control was the culprit, but it only crashes in windowed mode.

EDIT: I also got crashes I thought were caused by Distant Object Enhancement... But I still am getting them, although less frequently... it's the same malloc fail, too. Am I running into the 4GiB memory limit?! I don't have that much stuff...

KSP(1081,0xa11401d4) malloc:
*** mach_vm_map(size=67108864) failed (error code=3)*** error: can't allocate region
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

It would seem this has occured before under Mono on OSX. It's most likely running out of memory, but why... Is there a leak in one of the mods?

Edited by S1gmoid

Okay it's 99% confirmed, I'm running out of memory.

Given how it's also happening with lot less mods in 1.0.5 (and it wasn't so many mods to begin with), something is clearly leaking ram.

If the something is Mono or Unity itself, it would explain how the 64bit mod makes it "more stable" on OSX... It takes longer to leak 16 exibytes, and unused structures can be paged out...

Edited by S1gmoid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.