1949 Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-15 Replica

Mikoyan Gurevich

MiG-15

Transonic Jet Fighter

Stock KSP 1.0.4 Aircraft, 22 parts

qXr2XLR.jpg

Download @ KerbalX

The MiG-15 for its time was a very advanced aircraft, utilizing swept wings for vastly improved performance over its straight-winged NATO adverseries in the Korean War. Only the F-86 Sabre could match the mighty MiG in a dogfight!

In its Kerbal MiG-15K configuration, it serves the space program as a very efficient single seat jet trainer capable of supersonic dives thanks to clean aerodynamics. With rugged landing gear and very low operating costs, the MiG-15 is well suited for rough field operations. Designed decades before the advent of digital flight controls, the MiG is also very easy to operate thanks to its positive stability setup; it doesn't require SAS for stable flight.

Due to the recent ban of vintage aircraft aerobatics in the UK, I thought it fitting to construct a warbird of my own in KSP. I think fellow aircraft and military aviation enthusiasts would agree it's a fine use of KSP as a physics and flight simulator!

3VOJqTR.jpg

ryKqieo.jpg

With that in mind, which historical warbird would you like to see next?

Thanks for the kind feedback on the humble MiG :) I just reached home very late, fired up KSP, about to faint on my pillows but....

The F-20 tigershark, the plane that never made it. Also, great craft, and a nice simple replica. I like it.

I was thinking about the F-20 at work and would like to give you this: -

G16dNJM.jpg

Zeh0flS.jpg

It's a bit rough around the edges but at just 30 parts and low tech, it's pretty accessible for smaller nation-states and very deadly. The maneuverability of this design is absurd (the Tigershark is nearly as agile as an F-16!). Those leading edge root extensions work as advertised although they don't help in cruise performance. This design should work nicely with an afterburning engine in 1.0.5 or a turboramjet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.