Post EVERYTHING you know about the Mun Arch.

VincentMcConnell

Let\'s build an information database on this giant thing.

I just landed on it. Not because it was cool, but actually for scientific purposes. I landed on it, took some screenshots (which are uploaded) and then flew back down to the surface directly underneath myself. The Mun Arch (at least where I logged altitude) is 157 meters tall. It seems to be Kerman made, although it\'s possible that at some point the Mun had weather.

There\'s no way to know what it is composed of until EVA sample collections come out, so we will have to try and throw as much data into this as possible. I already ejected all debris on my ship, so I was wondering if someone could do this...

Eject some debris at one end, fly to the other end and then measure the width of the Mun arch at its base.

Go on a research flight to learn anything about it and post in the thread. The data will be kept here.

ALL INFORMATION WE COLLECT WILL BE LOGGED BELOW:

Munar Arch

A strange arch that stands about 160 meters in height and can be found on the northern edge of a nearside crater.

Height: 157 meters (as measured)

Width: ??

Inside Width: 113 m

Geological Composition:??

Surface: SOLID

Confirming that a 39ton object traveling at 400m/s does not cause a scratch. Actually survived to survey the damaged(thank god for mechjeb PANIC!!! button) sadly the kerbals who done the research are stranded in mun orbit since there lander was too badly damaged for the return trip.

I\'ve noticed at least two spots that 'sparkle' from Munar orbit. One is on the leading trailing edge, the other middle of the near side. I\'ve landed at one of them and confirmed an arch, but can\'t remember which.

Launching rover missions to both spots now, will update.

-----

Mid-nearside nearside close to leading trailing edge arch, parked as nearly as possible directly below the center of the arch. Screenshot looking down. (Spoilers: mechjeb surface information details.)

Fun fact learned: if, while landed right there, speed up time to 1000x and wait about half an orbit and then drop to 2x or below time compression, your craft will be violently thrown upwards and destroyed against the underside of the arch.

Same screenshot spoiler for mid-nearside arch.

I didn\'t get the quote from AMSO... I just got it because I have a practically encyclopedic knowledge of the Apollo missions lol

i know, but my wiki is amso, have you ever tried it? its practially a walking apollo wiki.

Whould it be possible to do exact measurements using the lazor plugin?

Oh wait. Can you drive carts on it? 8)

yes you can.

Using basic trig and exact lat/long readings from mechjeb with a rover, I measure the inside distance from base to base on the near side arch at about 108 m. That\'s from nose of Bigtrak up against the inside of one base, to tail end of Bigtrak up against the inside of the other - so add maybe 5 meters for the length of the Bigtrack itself and say 113 m.

If people don\'t just measure other distances by dropping debris I might do the same method for measuring thickness of the two bases. Sitting down there below them reminds me of visiting St. Louis!

Yes, I have played AMSO. Orbiter is cool, but I lose interest after a few missions. KSP is better. I like the sand box cartoony feel.

I agree, but really, there is infinite possibility with orbiter, i mean like, using transx to get to saturn, quite cool, and when you get bored, just go to http://www.orbithangar.com/ get some mods and have fun! if you need help, PM me, ive played for 2 years.

also, the main reason i play it more, is because well, i get 30 FPS on orbiter 2010, and only like 7 on KSP :(

It\'s not a very hard game. I got the Delta Glider into orbit manually on the first day I started really learning how to play.

So, what have you done?

In thruth, im only a master at orbiting, and im just learning transx :-[

Vincent - check the earlier post I made, it\'s been updated with locations for TWO arches. I\'m not guaranteeing that there aren\'t more. The OP seems to assume there is only one (or that they are identical,) but we should measure both to make sure there are no differences.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.