Estes Model Rocket Chute v1.2.3

narhiril

Now in three colors (red, orange, purple)!

wIr42.jpg

A little blast from the past for some of us who boldly went where no ten-year-olds had gone before.

It was a personal flavor mod for me, but it turned out well enough that I thought I might as well share it. Simple parachute reskin, slightly more drag than the mk16 in drogue phase. Comes complete with custom description and recovery wadding.

v1.2.3 fixes an issue with 1.2.2 that was causing corrupt save files. Please delete the three part subfolders associated with 1.2.2 before installing 1.2.3.

Pick it up here.

Is my memory failing or weren't the stripes day-glo safety orange?

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

They've changed over the years. Early ones were orange, but later they became color-coded by size (red, orange, or purple). The newest ones use a checkerboard pattern that I'm not as fond of.

Most of the Estes rockets in my collection are quite old, so I have a lot of memories of the red ones. My dad's old Estes Alpha (built circa 1967) has the red-striped chute - probably a mid-80s replacement of the original orange one, though I have a couple of other reds and purples in my collection as well.

Maybe I'll put together a version 1.2 with the other colors. I just used the chute from the first rocket I had lying around as the template (an Estes Yankee Clipper from the early 90s).

Nowadays the rockets I build are a bit larger, and they use nylon chutes with ejection baffles, nomex blankets, or pistons to protect them. You never forget your roots, though.

EDIT: Yeah, after thinking about it, I'm gonna make the other colors. Check back in a little while.

New colors are up. File has been renamed, so delete old versions if you have duplicate parts showing up.

I'll never forget my first D engine rocket, the Renegade. Was 3' tall and burned the asbestos clean off my homemade launching pad.

Man, makes me want to go out and buy some shit and do some launches!

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

I have a pair of AeroTech J350s sitting in my basement - just need to wait for a family friend's crops to be harvested before I have a field big enough to burn them.

A J350 = roughly equivalent to 64 Estes D12's.

It's quite the hobby. I still enjoy the little ones, though. They're fun - and a lot cheaper.

:)

My father worked for NASA, so I got a lot of the real thing when I was a kid. Who needs a hobby when you got the real deal. k8)

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Ah, awesome. Mine worked for McDonnell Douglas and (later) Boeing. I never got to see a real launch (they don't launch anything in Missouri), but I've been building my own since my tee-ball years. One of the upsides to living where I do is that there is no lack of open space, so a few friends of ours get together a few times a year to shoot off some big ones. The biggest one I've got so far takes a J, but a few of us have some that can handle M and N - it's like being on the deck of an aircraft carrier when those go off. You get blast shockwaves and sonic booms.

I was about 5 when my father had a telescope experiment go up on one of the Apollo missions. All I can remember is the sound making my chest feel like it was going to explode.

Nothing quite as beautiful as a rocket launch, model or real.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Very nice! :D Boy that brings back a lot of memories... My first launch ended up inside an area fenced in with barbed wire, then bulldozed over D:

I still have an Estes Sidewinder around somewhere... not the kind that looks like a sidewinder a missle, the one that folds out helicopter blades instead of a parachute! ....and sometimes hails its weighted nosecone down onto the ground as a dangerous projectile...

I never got to see a real launch (they don't launch anything in Missouri)

You hope they don't launch anything in Missouri! There's a few hundred rather impressive solid rockets just waiting to go scattered around there, after all... ;P

Sadly, I never had the patience or money to really get into model rocketry much; I did build and fly an Estes Bullpup as part of my seventh-grade science class, and a few more with the Young Astronauts Club that I was part of after that, but without money and with the attention span of a gnat, I couldn't really go anywhere more with it.

Probably would have done more if the final launch of my Bullpup in school hadn't had a recovery failure. (No, not a melted parachute; apparently, the wadding got stuck or something, because after it came down vertically onto the street, just missing a passing car, when we retrieved it, we found that the retainer clip was hanging by a thread, the wadding was all burnt, and the parachute was completely intact. Even if it weren't for the retainer clip, it was no longer airworthy; the nose had been blunted, and two of the fins now had cracks along the grain...)

More memories... attending a high-power model rocket launch in Alberta... One rocket went totally kerbal, veering almost horizontal then hitting a windshield! But the windshield was way stronger than the cardboard+balsa rocket, causing no damage and bending in half.

Another just plain vanished from sight, then dropped a piece of metal that dented somebody's truck. I don't think they ever found the rest of the rocket.

Some nut tried an F motor in a 1-foot rocket, and the thing didn't make it more than 2 feet off the ground before inverting and burying itself deep.

Lots of rockets shedding fins in midair.

And a very impressive on-pad explosion where, after 4 or 5 failed attempted ignitions, the motor finally started burning -- backwards. Parachute pops out, smoke and orange fire roars out the side, finally burns to the ground.

My favorite from seventh grade was when someone who always knew that she knew better than anyone else bought one of the standard Estes cargo-carrier rockets, the ones that say a minimum C engine, and proceeded to launch it with an A engine with an extremely long delay on the ejection charge.

And after it buried itself almost up to the end of the nosecone in the dirt, she just ran over to start pulling it out. You guessed it, recovery charge went off just as she grabbed the tube. Somehow, she didn't lose her hand...

New version is up!

Fixed a problem with saving ship designs that used this part.

Delete old versions before installing the newest one. Hopefully this will work as intended now >.>

EDIT: I know it still includes a few redundant object/model files, but those shouldn't (I think?) cause any problems.

Talk about memories! I remember a styrofoam shuttle kit I had, with C-type motors. I think we did one single full launch, and it ended up in a tree.

Then we got to playing with just the C-types, and strapped cardboard fins and toothpick struts to them. And of course, little tin foil men, which were named 'Kerbals'

Thank you for making that reskin. It's significant on many levels here.

Hmm, now, we need an Estes-like tripod launchpad ;)

Cheers

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I've done a small change to the parts loading scheme, and underscores will no longer be a taboo character on part names ;)

Talk about memories! I remember a styrofoam shuttle kit I had, with C-type motors. I think we did one single full launch, and it ended up in a tree.

Then we got to playing with just the C-types, and strapped cardboard fins and toothpick struts to them. And of course, little tin foil men, which were named 'Kerbals'

Cheers

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I've done a small change to the parts loading scheme, and underscores will no longer be a taboo character on part names ;)

Now my PSA is useless!

Cheers

. We take these out about three or four times a year, when the weather is good and the fields are clear of crops. My personal collection doesn't have anything quite this big, but I'm getting close. A lot of us (myself included) got started with Estes rockets, and many of us still bring our Estes rocket collections to the launch to fire off without fear of losing anything in a tree. The time between the firings of the big ones is filled with lots of little plastic parachutes. For me, it felt wrong to have a rocketry game without this part.