Requesting non-Rapier mk2 SSTO

Hello!

I've actually managed a dinky Mk1 rapier powered SSTO but I can't seem to do anything more complicated. I'd like to request a larger MkII SSTO with margins for stuff other than just getting to orbit, no use of rapiers, and then instructions on its use so I can figure out where my designs go wrong. Thanks!

RAPIER have the best trust-weight ratio.
But atomic engines have much higher efficiency.
However they may lack umpf for orbitting.
That's people often combine them with 2 "Terrier"

I got one for you... chucked it together in 4 minutes, so not very polished. It works though, and it'll bring a MK2 Crew cabin into a 150km orbit and back, enough fuel for a rendv but no docking port / RCS. Powered by 2 Turbo-ramjets and 2 LVT-45 swivels. Below is the picture album (Forgot to take pictures of the ascent, I was writing this while it flew itself), and [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/huarf7vx33wv390/SSTO%20%27Cutback%27.craft?dl=0"]here[/URL] is the download. Pretty standard launch procedure:
1. Press [1] to activate the jets.
2. Take off and fly up at a 20 degree angle. You should hit 400m/s at 6.5km
3. Begin levelling off at 9km by bringing the plane down to a 15 degree angle.
4. When the engines hit a thrust level of 75kN press [2] to activate the rocket motors. Keep the jets on until they burn out.
5. Burn until you reach an AP of above 75km. I usually aim for 150km though.
6. Circularise
[CENTER][imgur]5MTfN[/imgur][/CENTER]
Landing has to be done by feel, you might need to pump so fuel into the front of the ship. It's got a huge surface area and glides like a feather.

Although, word of advice: RAPIER's really are the most efficient way to go. The more engines you add, the more mass. RAPIER's are also better jets then the standard Turbo-ramjets; Max thrust of 465kN at Mach 3.7 VS 386kN at Mach 3 - that really is quite a big difference. And only for 0.5t more.

Don't forgot, with that extra 0.5t you also get a rocket motor. A rocket motor that pushes a shocking 180kN of thrust.

On most of my spaceplanes, I use RAPIER's and Atomic motors. The RAPIER's are mainly used as plain jets, although I often add 100 units of Ox or so for a bit of rocket boost before switching to the Nerva's. That's really the most efficient way to go.

Oh, one more thing. That above design can easily be modded to take a 3-4 ton payload up with a bit of tweaking - I did it on a different craft file. Edited by CitizenAerospace

[quote name='Redshift OTF'][URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/140268-Stylish-SSTO-Ferry-Aero-Edge"]OK, mine's ready now.[/URL][/QUOTE]

I went red in the face after realising how bad mine looks side by side with yours on this thread :D

Seriously though... that is a magnificent spaceplane.

[quote name='CitizenAerospace']I went red in the face after realising how bad mine looks side by side with yours on this thread :D

Seriously though... that is a magnificent spaceplane.[/QUOTE]

Heh, well it's not just about looks, it's usability as well. There's usually some trade offs when making something aesthetically pleasing.

Hey, I don't think this fits the bill, but it doesn't have RAPIERs...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RB2vN04.png[/img]

And I'm working on a [I]smaller[/I] version with Junos.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/tQnOfJA.png[/img]

Rune. By "working" I mean it's done but I'm unlikely to release because it is basically useless. Edited by Rune

[quote name='CitizenAerospace']I got one for you... chucked it together in 4 minutes, so not very polished. It works though, and it'll bring a MK2 Crew cabin into a 150km orbit and back, enough fuel for a rendv but no docking port / RCS. Powered by 2 Turbo-ramjets and 2 LVT-45 swivels. Below is the picture album (Forgot to take pictures of the ascent, I was writing this while it flew itself), and [URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/huarf7vx33wv390/SSTO%20%27Cutback%27.craft?dl=0"]here[/URL] is the download. Pretty standard launch procedure:
1. Press [1] to activate the jets.
2. Take off and fly up at a 20 degree angle. You should hit 400m/s at 6.5km
3. Begin levelling off at 9km by bringing the plane down to a 15 degree angle.
4. When the engines hit a thrust level of 75kN press [2] to activate the rocket motors. Keep the jets on until they burn out.
5. Burn until you reach an AP of above 75km. I usually aim for 150km though.
6. Circularise
[CENTER][URL]http://imgur.com/a/5MTfN[/URL][/CENTER]
Landing has to be done by feel, you might need to pump so fuel into the front of the ship. It's got a huge surface area and glides like a feather.

Although, word of advice: RAPIER's really are the most efficient way to go. The more engines you add, the more mass. RAPIER's are also better jets then the standard Turbo-ramjets; Max thrust of 465kN at Mach 3.7 VS 386kN at Mach 3 - that really is quite a big difference. And only for 0.5t more.

Don't forgot, with that extra 0.5t you also get a rocket motor. A rocket motor that pushes a shocking 180kN of thrust.

On most of my spaceplanes, I use RAPIER's and Atomic motors. The RAPIER's are mainly used as plain jets, although I often add 100 units of Ox or so for a bit of rocket boost before switching to the Nerva's. That's really the most efficient way to go.

Oh, one more thing. That above design can easily be modded to take a 3-4 ton payload up with a bit of tweaking - I did it on a different craft file.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try this soon.

[quote name='Redshift OTF']Heh, well it's not just about looks, it's usability as well. There's usually some trade offs when making something aesthetically pleasing.[/QUOTE]

Your plane is gorgeous, though I'm not the biggest fan of that clipped Vector. Still, I'll definitely take it for a joyride.

[quote name='Rune']Hey, I don't think this fits the bill, but it doesn't have RAPIERs...

[URL]http://i.imgur.com/RB2vN04.png[/URL]

And I'm working on a [I]smaller[/I] version with Junos.

[URL]http://i.imgur.com/tQnOfJA.png[/URL]

Rune. By "working" I mean it's done but I'm unlikely to release because it is basically useless.[/QUOTE]

Is that a pure rocket SSTO? The LF/OX ratio matches that of a pure rocket.

[quote name='PhylumCnidaria']an SSTO with Junos?

JUNOS?!

C'mon, Rune, you HAVE to release it! I want to absorb your infinite SSTO knowledge![/QUOTE]

Well, it's not hard to re-engineer on your own, it's the second one in the pics. The only weird trick I did is to attach the small intakes for the Junos with surface attachment, courtesy of Ed Tools, and fiddle a bit with the oxidizer levels on the forward tank. The trickier thing is to fly it, you have to put-put the spike up to 10,000m because it's too heavy for the Junos on their own, but not too much to save dV because it only has 3.3km/s or so, then pitch up to 30º and engage the RAPIER to go the rest of the way like it was a rocket.

[quote name='More Boosters']Is that a pure rocket SSTO? The LF/OX ratio matches that of a pure rocket.[/QUOTE]

Yup, as simple as it can get, one spike and 3,5+km/s in rocket power. The spike is actually a bit too big for the job!

Rune. Which means, you could make it bigger ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.