Getting to the Mun/Moon without Kerbin orbit first.

I'm trying to recreate some of the early US/Russian missions.   I've gotten Sputnik 1/2 and Explorer 1 in orbit.     My next phase is to move onto some moon probes.

Historically, these missions do not go into Earth orbit, but launch and go straight at the moon.   

After a few tries, I realize that I have no clue how to calculate my launches to do this.  I've always gone into LEO, and then simply fiddled with maneuver nodes to get the transfer I wanted.

Any clues on how to do it straight from launchpad to mun/moon?

Are you going to the Moon or Mun?

Starting from Kerbin it is easy to hit the Mun, just launch eastward at munrise, and after your gravity turn simply keep on burning straight at the Mun until you get an encounter. Works like a charm.

I never played RSS, so I don't know what approach is needed to get to the actual Moon...

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

This is just a bit of a shot in the dark, but...

Try launching at Munrise.

Happy landings!

This is the correct answer, OP. Launch at Munrise and keep burning until you have an encounter.

28 minutes ago, kerbingamer376 said:

Wait until the mun is maybe 5 degrees from the launchpad, then go up untill you get an encounter. works for me...

It's actually much more efficient delta-v wise to use a gravity turn, even if you're not going to enter orbit.

Happy landings!

You'll probably find that all of them do go into an orbit at first, it's just not circular, or low. Because the upper stages had so little thrust (and so much fuel/mass), they would do several burns at perigee to raise the apogee before finally launching for the moon.

If this level of realism is what you want, you'll want to launch several hours - possibly even a day before Munrise, and get into some orbit (doesn't really matter if you're eyeballing it), then do 2-5 more short burns each time around at perigee to exploit oberth effect, and hopefully by the time you're ready for the final shot, your perigee will be at Munrise.

Edited by surge

The easy answer will have you launch at munrise and burn continuously.

The most efficient one will have you burn continuously until you reach 70km, then stop until apoapsis, establish a 70km Pe, then do kicks. Timing this to intersect the Mun takes either mathematical skill, or patience.

The silliest answer will have you launch vertically when the Mun is directly overhead and burn continuously about 15 km/s or more. You'll get to Mun in about 20 minutes and make a new crater.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.