Longest distance travelled by air?

So ive been playing this for a while, more than addictive! Im not so good with the spaceship thing, I can get stuff into a rough orbit, but getting to the Mun is beyond me right now. Ive been having way more fun flying aircraft, I must invest in a joystick...

Anyways, ive set myself a target, to get around Kerbin atleast once. So far ive only got about half way:

screenshot0.png

Has anyone topped 720km? Im aiming to go further now :D

This is the beast:

screenshot2.png

screenshot1.png

Typically, its started off nice and slender, almost pretty looking. Unfortunately it lacked the range needed, so I added more fuel, then it lacked the power, so I added more/bigger engines and added a takeoff booster. Then it lacked lift, so I extended the wings, and even added more wings. After all this, it was completely unstable, so I had to go back and move all the wings around, then it would fly. Its very very stable, only downside is it tries to climb until it backflips. Even with the autopilot on itll slowly do that, so you have to keep an eye on things.

My record holder for distance is also my record for altitude and speed. 1330km distance before I intentionally crashed it (it was taking too long), 29500m altitude, and 750m/s airspeed. And my friend kept releasing my drop tanks early while I wasn\'t looking.

This thread (as well as the rest of the challenges for longest distance in atmosphere) simply will not work.

The 'infinite glide' glitch can not be prevented at this time. The drag equations are simply incorrect, meaning any plane (or glider) could be using the glitch partially, or completely.

Point being, the challenge is invalid, because any plane with any parts that affect drag (all of them) consists as 'cheating', because all of them are taking advantage of drag in one way or another.

I recently completed a near-circumnavigation of Kerbin with an air-breathing aircraft. Used 9 LFTs and 2 Turbojets. Got within 100km of KSC before running out of fuel.

Probably could have glided it in from there but I had to Alt-Tab and that crashed the game. Took about 3 1/2 hours too.

I\'ll get some screenshots up when I get the time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.