Transmitting data and science level.

jros83

Career mode, relatively early on. First, allow me to list every part of my science probe, minus the lifting stage:

4x DTS-M1 symmetrically around an aerodynamic nosecone (useless in near vacuum but facilitated lift off).
4x illuminator Mk1's symmetrically in the gaps of the DTS's (aesthetics only, I'm that guy)
The Octagon probe, 2 Goo containers, solar panels, and circular power cell sheathed in Service Bay (currently open to allow sunlight).
Small Inline Reaction Wheel (I probably didn't need this but that's a different topic...)
FLT-200 tank (empty of LFO)
FLT-400 tank (63.12 LF, 77.15 O)
LV-909

Much of that is not necessary information but just in case.

So, I have some thermometers plus the Goo containers that I mentioned. The decrease in science gain from transmitting science rather than physically collecting (I have no plans on ever recovering this probe) are extreme, ESPECIALLY with the Goo (11.5 recovery, 0.4 transmit, "in space high above Kerbin), though temp (in same location) is not as bad (12 recovery, 6 transmit).

My questions is, is there anything I can do to get more from transmissions? Stock only please.

Edited by jros83

Best/only stock way to maximize transmitted science is by using the Science Lab part. However, it looks like you don't have that unlocked. But, if you're getting such a tiny fraction of the original science value by transmitting, I would hazard a guess that you've already done that experiment once or twice?

13 minutes ago, LordKael said:

Best/only stock way to maximize transmitted science is by using the Science Lab part. However, it looks like you don't have that unlocked. But, if you're getting such a tiny fraction of the original science value by transmitting, I would hazard a guess that you've already done that experiment once or twice?

Not the Goo one, which is the one that is reduced drastically. 11.5 to 0.4 seems extreme. 

The science gains you report - 11.5/0.4 for goo versus 12/6 for temperature - tell me that you have indeed performed and transmitted the goo experiment for this situation already once before. The biggest indicator for this is the fact that a goo pod recovery is generally worth more than a thermometer recovery. In other words, the mere fact that your goo recovery value is less than 12 indicates that the experiment is operating at less than 100% return value.

And the only way you can get less than 100% return value is if you have already transmitted or returned it at least once.

This also lines up with the fact that you're only getting a negligible amount offered for the transmission - because that simply tells you that you have already consumed the possible returns you can get from transmitting.

You can confirm that you already have a mystery goo transmission result for "in space high above Kerbin" by going into the R&D building, switching to the archive tab at the top left, and checking your mystery goo results for Kerbin.

Also, I'd like to add that there is a way to boost transmission payout without a science lab that nobody has mentioned yet: simply have a scientist on board. You start out with a 5% bonus for a rank 0 Kerbal, and the bonus increases by another 5% for every star that the Kerbal earns.

Not helpful to your unmanned probe, but it is what it is ;)

Edited by Streetwind

Personally I prefer to go into the game files and alter the transmission rates. Anything that is simple numerical data I change to transmit at 100%.. I really don't see the need to bring my thermometer back to see what the temperature is, especially when the game is literally telling me what the temperature is in the thing's menu X_X

1 hour ago, Enorats said:

Personally I prefer to go into the game files and alter the transmission rates. Anything that is simple numerical data I change to transmit at 100%.. I really don't see the need to bring my thermometer back to see what the temperature is, especially when the game is literally telling me what the temperature is in the thing's menu X_X

That's a good idea. Simple readings that are, like you said, mostly numerical (temp, barometrics, gravity) should come back with near perfect integrity through a transmission. Though the more complicated things like materials and Goo, I am ok with them losing integrity considering there's more to send.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.