What...

Ph4ntom S33ker

Congratulations you have broken free of Kerbins sphere of influence and are now an interstellar traveller :)

You\'ll have to retroburn like mad to get recaptured before it\'s too late, I hope you have some fuel left, also, you can modify your posts, look to the top right.

Ahh okay then, you must have made a fairly large rocket to have done that, or whipped round the Mun, either way your Kerbals are stranded.

You can leave them out there and maybe they\'ll get lucky and be recaptured a few years from now, or restart the flight and try again.

The rocket was actually pretty awful if I\'m honest. I\'ll post it, see if anyone else can do the same.

Also, the average speen I\'m travelling at is roughly 7500-14000 m/s, depending on proximity to the sun (can\'t recall the name off the top of my head). I think the ship and Kerbin will meet up again soon, or I\'ll get back in the gravity again. I fully plan to return.

Hehe, I\'ve done this several times, all on accident (I miss the Mun). This happened in the demo 13.3, though (so no debris persistence). I haven\'t tried to get to the Mun yet since I bought the game.

It\'s actually fairly easy...just keep blasting at the periapsis when you\'re orbiting Kerbol until the trajectory line in the orbital map is not circular anymore (just a curved line). Once you escape Kerbol\'s gravity, the Sun\'s gravity takes over.

Speaking of which, has anyone managed to go REALLY far from the sun?

My biggest orbit was literally off the charts, it just read \'escape velocity from Kerbol\'.

It was an almost straight line away from Kerbin with maybe a 15-20 degree curve towards Kerbol as it passed by.

I don\'t remember what exactly I used to achieve it, but no cheat parts :)

Speaking of which, has anyone managed to go REALLY far from the sun?

I was once messing around with RCS tank config files to give infinite fuel (MechJeb was \'raping\' the RCS thrusters to try and get my Space Station into orbit) I wanted to see what the maximum number of single-direction RCS thrusters you could fit on the bottom of an RCS tank was. I ended up speeding out of the Solar System at ~182,000m/s, it said I would leave Kerbols SOI in 68 years (which is apparently a floating point limitation).

If you really want to get away from it all, I suggest lots of fuel tanks in your final stage, and the ion engine.

Also, when I wanted to get up some wicked speed, I used the mun to gravity-assist. I one time got both the Mun and Minmus. By the time I passed Minmus, I was hauling ass so fast that the entire encounter lasted less than 7 minutes.

You will encounter the Kraken if i am not mistaken. A complex ship at high speeds is well-nigh uncontrollable due to the limitations of the math, so get your delta-v built up before you slingshot, and eject all stages except your capsule/mechjeb. Also, endeavor to get your craft\'s final path in the same direction as the orbit of Kerbin -- you will acquire all of Kerbin\'s velocity, as well as your own.

I keep hoping that one of the surprise features in 0.16 will be a final fix of the Kraken so we can all enjoy pushing the envelope even harder!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.