So... I flipped over.

Wasn't thinking when I set the Mechjeb to auto land on Mun for me while I made tea, and I came back to this, lol.  http://i.imgur.com/DxPTk3A.png?1

I've tried RCS and it's just not strong enough, and I've thought about building a rover, but not sure how that would even work out.  It would probably need to flip long ways.  Anyone have any idea how I might could flip this back over?  Are there any sort of hydraulic rover things I could do or something? 

13 minutes ago, thewayshemoves said:

Wasn't thinking when I set the Mechjeb to auto land on Mun for me while I made tea, and I came back to this, lol.  http://i.imgur.com/DxPTk3A.png?1

Well, that's what you get when you let a 'bot do your piloting :P Hope your tea was worth it at least!

I'd turn on RCS, start the main engine, and immediately lift the nose off the surface. Hopefully the ship will rotate fast enough that engine thrust gets it off the ground before your horizontal velocity is enough to damage parts. Then you can turn over and attempt landing again, or if you don't have enough fuel for that return to orbit and chalk this up to experience. Good luck!

So, an update.  That worked sort of, haha.  The cockpit was getting ripped off, but if I opened the cargo bay, and then gunned the engines while the nose was lifted because of the cargo bay doors I was able to get it into a pretty horrible orbit.  The main engine blew off, but I had enough power and fuel in the other two to manage an orbit.  I'll try to get it fueled and limped back home.  Thanks for the response, that was a great idea.

Edited by thewayshemoves
punctuation

25 minutes ago, thewayshemoves said:

So, an update.  That worked sort of, haha.  The cockpit was getting ripped off, but if I opened the cargo bay, and then gunned the engines while the nose was lifted because of the cargo bay doors I was able to get it into a pretty horrible orbit.  The main engine blew off, but I had enough power and fuel in the other two to manage an orbit.  I'll try to get it fueled and limped back home.  

Brilliant solution using the bay doors to prop it up! And now you have a lovely Kerbal tale to tell. If you took pictures, this would make a great Mission Report. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.