Toggle joystick input on/off?

White Owl

So I enjoy flying airplanes in KSP with my joystick and rudder pedals. That's fun. These controls allow smoother, more precise input to all three axes, which is very good for airplanes... but not really necessary for most spacecraft.

The problem: My flight sim hardware tends to give small, undesired control inputs to spacecraft. This results in a tumbling satellite and wasted monopropellant.

The current solution: I increased the deadzones for all three axes so when the joystick and rudder pedals are at rest, they don't register any control inputs. Satellites are now well-behaved; this solution seems okay at first.

The new problem: Now the deadzones are too big for the desired fine control for airplanes! I want to roll left or right just a fraction of a degree, but the ailerons don't move until the stick is so far over that the resulting roll is more like five degrees. I find myself using keyboard to fine tune the plane's attitude... which completely defeats the purpose of using a joystick!

Now I'm wondering if there's a way to toggle controller inputs on and off completely with a hotkey or joystick button. That way I could set the deadzones for very fine control, and simply hit a button any time I want to use the hardware. Hit the button again to turn the hardware input off and use keyboard control.

Does this mod exist already? If not, is it possible? I know next to nothing about coding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.