Space Shuttle Mods

Hysterrics

Alright, so at this time there is about 5 Space Shuttle addons and honestly I can't keep track of them. Could we get one dedicated person or team of modders that can actually finish the mod?

Honestly, I think we should have just a space shuttle mod. You know what the mod would be? The space shuttle alongside of space shuttle stuff. Preferably, the mod would also stay updated and you wouldn't have to install 7 other mods for it to work. It would also be nice to not have to install a patch just to get past the loading screen.

Sorry for this rather short rant, but I'm just tired of mod makers making these shuttle mods and just walking away from them. This forum needs deserves a hero modder who would be dedicated to maintaining a shuttle mod.

Edit: I suppose I should go ahead and restate what I am trying to say, as people are taking this the wrong way, which is understandable. I'm not trying to call these mod makers lazy, nor am I trying to attack mod creators. My point is that the space shuttle mods on the "market" are either unorganized or not attended to.The only shuttle mod I see that's the closest to working doesn't work and the forum post is written in comic sans, without capital letters. I suppose that's just one of the things that bother me.

I digress, however. To sum it all up, I'm slightly frustrated with the amount of shuttle mods. You try to go to one forum post, then get redirected to a development thread, then to the main thread, then to a download.

The message for shuttle mod makers: Please organize. That's all. No personal attacks and no non-personal attacks from my end. Just organize your posts.

Edited by Sequinox

I ought to let them speak for themselves...  but...  since I've built the dreamer I think I can sorta speak on the topic...

So, firstly, I think your intent is good, but some will take your tone as a bit demanding?  The community has purchased a license from squad to play the stock game.  That's all any of us DESERVE and have any right to.  Anything a modder does should be thought of as for their own amusement, and they were kind enough to share it with you...  but if they stop being amused, you can't be upset that they've stopped updating something.  THe only 100% certain way to get what you want mod-wise is to learn to mod.  

That said, I think most of the shuttle mods have pretty active maintainers still, don't they?  And most of them are 'complete enough' to play?

And... the shuttle mods have very different aims.  I don't play them that much, but...  one works well in stock, one is very RO focused, one is more overpowered and simple to use, intended to be a more 'fun' ship as opposed to some of the more realistic and challenging interpretations?  It would be very hard... and not necessarily ideal for the community at large, to try to shoehorn all of those philosophies into one project.  Could you offer one set of parts with 5 sets of config files?  Probably.  Does that sound like a maintenance and support nightmare?  Absolutely.  And the different projects differ in parts counts and customization ability for the same philosophical reasons.  Which do you go with?

With my Dreamer project I still have to balance the voices of "It's too hard to fly" vs the "It's too overpowered and easy to fly!" so I can only imagine what some of them are going through.   Trying to make a mod that satisfies everyone is going to be very difficult, so it's awesome that there are alternatives for each type of KSP player...  I'd welcome someone doing another version of something I've modded, but aimed at a different audience.  Actually that would be WONDERFUL as I'd communicate with them and then tailor my craft to more specifically serve whatever kind of play they WEREN'T interested in, be it hyper realism or OP 'play-time.'  

I can say from my experience, if you want to see a mod get actively maintained, show appreciation.  When people are in my threads posting screenshots and critiques, I open my source files and make my projects better.  When my thread doesn't get bumped for a month, I take that as indication that nobody is interested in that right now and work on other stuff.  If you pick a favorite shuttle, fly it, post screenshots and compliments and bug reports, and offer to help with what you can, people will maintain them because they feel the payoff!

10 hours ago, artwhaley said:

I ought to let them speak for themselves...  but...  since I've built the dreamer I think I can sorta speak on the topic...

So, firstly, I think your intent is good, but some will take your tone as a bit demanding?  The community has purchased a license from squad to play the stock game.  That's all any of us DESERVE and have any right to.  Anything a modder does should be thought of as for their own amusement, and they were kind enough to share it with you...  but if they stop being amused, you can't be upset that they've stopped updating something.  THe only 100% certain way to get what you want mod-wise is to learn to mod.  

That said, I think most of the shuttle mods have pretty active maintainers still, don't they?  And most of them are 'complete enough' to play?

And... the shuttle mods have very different aims.  I don't play them that much, but...  one works well in stock, one is very RO focused, one is more overpowered and simple to use, intended to be a more 'fun' ship as opposed to some of the more realistic and challenging interpretations?  It would be very hard... and not necessarily ideal for the community at large, to try to shoehorn all of those philosophies into one project.  Could you offer one set of parts with 5 sets of config files?  Probably.  Does that sound like a maintenance and support nightmare?  Absolutely.  And the different projects differ in parts counts and customization ability for the same philosophical reasons.  Which do you go with?

With my Dreamer project I still have to balance the voices of "It's too hard to fly" vs the "It's too overpowered and easy to fly!" so I can only imagine what some of them are going through.   Trying to make a mod that satisfies everyone is going to be very difficult, so it's awesome that there are alternatives for each type of KSP player...  I'd welcome someone doing another version of something I've modded, but aimed at a different audience.  Actually that would be WONDERFUL as I'd communicate with them and then tailor my craft to more specifically serve whatever kind of play they WEREN'T interested in, be it hyper realism or OP 'play-time.'  

I can say from my experience, if you want to see a mod get actively maintained, show appreciation.  When people are in my threads posting screenshots and critiques, I open my source files and make my projects better.  When my thread doesn't get bumped for a month, I take that as indication that nobody is interested in that right now and work on other stuff.  If you pick a favorite shuttle, fly it, post screenshots and compliments and bug reports, and offer to help with what you can, people will maintain them because they feel the payoff!

I apologize, as my post did seem demanding. But from my point of view it seems like people take up the shuttle projects and then just flat out leave them, never to be heard of again.

If I am wrong please correct me and I will acknowledge my mistake.

On 12/25/2015 at 1:42 AM, artwhaley said:

I posted a clarification to my post. Also, as far as I know there is one strictly space shuttle mod maintained by, well, whoever the hell maintains it. Likely lots of people.

I suppose I'm angry because I'm confused at all these shuttle mods. I'll look into it, but as far as I know there is one main one. I believe a team the include MikeNZ or..something. Last I checked you needed to install a patch just to make it work. CSS worked great, but I don't believe that even works anymore.

On 12/27/2015 at 7:37 AM, sarbian said:

Those lazy mod makers! Burn them all!!! 

Woah woah woah. That's not what I'm trying to say at all.

On December 27, 2015 at 8:37 AM, sarbian said:

Those lazy mod makers! Burn them all!!! 

Am I on fire?!?!?!?!?!  Help!!!!!   I'M ON FIRE!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T LET ME DIE!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, CliftonM said:

Am I on fire?!?!?!?!?!  Help!!!!!   I'M ON FIRE!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T LET ME DIE!!!!!!!

AHHH.

Sorry, I like flames.

Anyway, I have an update.

I used the patch on MikeNZ's space shuttle mod. I will now write about my experience.

The boot up went smooth, no issues. I started my modded save and, to be honest, expected some issues. Eh. I kinda got some issues. Everything was there! Perfect! You know, except for the orbiter. Ouch. Maybe I replaced the wrong file? The forum post says to place the file in a directory that doesn't exist, so I found a folder that had a file with the same name and threw it in there. Experimentation to come later. Anyway, I decided since there was no orbiter I would just make the launcher. I grabbed the ET and tried to put some boosters on it. Now, it says "with decoupler", but that name is a damn liar. I did some experimentation. Tried to mount it on a normal decoupler. Nope. Tried to attach it with a structural element. Nope. I was pretty much out of ideas. I placed down a structural element and hoped for the best. Ayyyy, it worked! I made it to where it decoupled the structural element with the booster. Then I threw a nose cone on top, which is conveniently placed under the "engines" tab. Great. Then I figured out that there is a custom made booster decoupler. *Sigh* I made that revision, set up staging and put it on the launchpad. Sounds are great! Flew nice! Decouplers perfectly! Parachute works. I like it.

So, sorry MikeNZ. I was wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.