Unable to complete contract

I'm trying to complete a contract where I have to build a space station in a solar orbit that is docked with an asteroid.

Everything goes well up to docking with the asteroid.

However, as soon as I dock with the asteroid the condition in the contract which requires that the station be a new station that has a docking port, an antenna and can generate power, no longer has a green tick on it.

It had a green tick from the moment of launch right up to the moment I dock with the asteroid and then to tick disappears and I can't fulfil the contract.

What is going wrong?

Don't bother checking versions. The contract system has been bugged from the start.

If you're confident you've completed all requirements just ignore the failure to complete for the moment. Make a quicksafe [F5] just to be sure and exit the game. Restart the game and return to the craft that failed to complete. 99% guaranteed now the contract will complete without a problem.

This may have to do with the game considering an asteroid a special kind of ship.

If it was an asteroid that already 'existed' in your save before accepting the contract, docking with it will invalidate the 'new' requirement, because the date of spawning is not from after the contract, and docking will give the new asteroid+station assembly the oldest date (of the asteroid), and now all of a sudden you don't comply anymore with the station having to be 'new'.

Only way around this is to make sure you only try to fulfill this type of contract with an asteroid that has spawned after accepting the contract.

This contract is giving me the most problems.

I have done it about 4 times and something has gone wrong with the game every time.

The first time my RSC ports wouldn't work properly.

I would be able to forward and backwards but not up and down or side to side.

The second time I went to dock with the asteroid and went right through it.

The third and fourth times the contract condition failed at the docking with the asteroid.

57 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Can you please upload the savegame to a file site such as dropbox, also the output_log.txt from immediately after trying this contract, it is in the KSP_Data folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbg1sgn6xf2918b/AAAdEtzGj8M6McStLsaXX7NIa?dl=0

Please find the saved game and this dropbox link

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 0:59 AM, Tex_NL said:

Don't bother checking versions. The contract system has been bugged from the start.

If you're confident you've completed all requirements just ignore the failure to complete for the moment. Make a quicksafe [F5] just to be sure and exit the game. Restart the game and return to the craft that failed to complete. 99% guaranteed now the contract will complete without a problem.

I tried F5 after I docked with the asteroid and then F9 and it didn't fix the problem.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 1:32 AM, swjr-swis said:

This may have to do with the game considering an asteroid a special kind of ship.

If it was an asteroid that already 'existed' in your save before accepting the contract, docking with it will invalidate the 'new' requirement, because the date of spawning is not from after the contract, and docking will give the new asteroid+station assembly the oldest date (of the asteroid), and now all of a sudden you don't comply anymore with the station having to be 'new'.

Only way around this is to make sure you only try to fulfill this type of contract with an asteroid that has spawned after accepting the contract.

How do I tell how old the asteroid is?

The tracking station only tells me when it was discovered, if I'm tracking it, and when it was last seen if I'm not.

3 hours ago, vpeonix0407 said:

How do I tell how old the asteroid is?

The tracking station only tells me when it was discovered, if I'm tracking it, and when it was last seen if I'm not.

The stock tracking center doesn't give that information to the player, unfortunately. So the only way to make sure is before accepting such a contract, go to tracking center, click all the visible untracked asteroids, and track them (then untrack them again if you don't want to keep these around), so there are no question marks left. Now accept the contract, but only target an asteroid that shows up as a new question mark. Usually it takes a couple of days of in-game time for a new asteroid to spawn.

The save file stores it as 'lct = <number>' in the VESSEL node, and contracts check that when deciding if a vessel/asteroid is new. If you want to check through the save file, make sure that number is larger than the datetime you accepted the contract - the 10th number listed in the 'values = x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, x8, x9, x10, x11, x12' entry of the contract you accepted (or if you're desperate for that particular asteroid to match, edit it and make it a just slightly bigger number - just make sure to make a backup, all warranties expired, etc etc).

Edited by swjr-swis

16 hours ago, vpeonix0407 said:

I tried F5 after I docked with the asteroid and then F9 and it didn't fix the problem.

Just reloading your quicksafe won't help. You have to shut down and restart KSP. THEN return to your craft.

Hmm... I posted a detailed response here to vpeonix0407 a few hours ago... and now it's nowhere to be found? Forum glitch, or was my message moderated for some reason?

Never mind, I was not aware that posts in this section get reordered when rated. The post is there, just not at the end of the thread where I expected.

Edited by swjr-swis
being a doofus

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 1:12 AM, Tex_NL said:

Just reloading your quicksafe won't help. You have to shut down and restart KSP. THEN return to your craft.

I tried again. Docked with the asteroid. Quit the game and reloaded. Still can't fulfil the condition of the contract.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.