[1.0.5] Kompressed Solar System Mod

jipi1090

Introduction

The Kompressed Solar System Mod is a mod that takes the solar system, and compresses it down and rearranges it to add a new level of complexity to the stock game. It doesn't add any new planets, but it re-arranges the existing ones into a quite interesting configuration. 

I did not intended for this mod to be realistic. Rather, I wanted to give the solar system the classic sci-fi look, with planets hanging low and big in the night sky, and extremely short transit times between planets. The magic of the Kopernicus and Module Manager mods was able to make that happen. Huge shout out to those guys for making and maintaining those mods. 

The Mod

This mod re-arranges the solar system as thus:

Jool: orbits the Sun

-Eve: orbits closest to Jool

--Tylo: orbits Eve

---Dres: orbits closest to Tylo

---Eeloo: orbits farthest from Tylo

----Pol: orbits Eeloo

-Kerbin: orbits second closest to Jool

--Laythe: orbits Kerbin

---Vall: orbits closest to Laythe

---Mun: orbits farthest from Laythe

----Minmus: orbits Mun

-Duna: orbits farthest from Jool

--Moho: orbits Duna

---Bop: orbits closest to Moho

---Ike: orbits farthest from Moho

----Gilly: orbits Ike

Photos

No pics, no clicks. Here's a few photos to give an idea of what this mod is about.

License

Creative Commons License
Kompressed Solar System Mod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Downloads

This Mod Requires Kopernicus

Download Kopernicus Here: Kopernicus Download

Download the Kompressed Solar System Mod from Curse: Kompressed Solar System Mod

Simply download both mods, and unzip them into your KSP directory. Make sure the folders named Kopernicus and Kompressed are in the GameData folder. If they aren't, find them, and then move them into the GameData folder.

Other Mods

This mod should be compatible with most other mods. However, I would be wary of using other planet packs, as this pack changes the stock planet's orbits so much, the other packs will be useless.

In this mod, I've found that on rare occasions, the craft will shake itself apart. I believe this is due to the high orbital speed of Kerbin's. Kerbal Joint Reinforcement is a mod that will solve this problem, if encountered.

PlanetShine and Distant Object Enhancement are two good mods that add to the "feel" of the game. Both of these mods were used in the screenshots above, and I highly recommend them.

Last Thoughts

This is my first mod, so I hope you all like it! :D

Let me know of any bugs or improvements wanted, and tell your friends if you really like it.

Edited by jipi1090
formatting

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where I can find some matching configs for hyperedit. I tried to use both mods at once, but because of hyperedit's planet configs all the planets went to their default positions.

Edit: Never mind, fixed it. All I had to do was hit the "reset to default" button in the hyperedit window and then save to config.

Edited by SMAZ

• 1 month later...

A few tips for flying though the modded system successfully

Firstly, the only planets you want to orbit are Kerbin and Jool. Hyperbolic flybys and direct ascent landings are your best bet for getting science in the space around planets and on planets.

You also want to make sure that your ships have plenty of delta-v. While it doesn't take as much to get to the different planets, you will find yourself needing to stop from crashing yourself into planets. 

Good luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.