Testing a NASA study - Biconic Entry to Mars

glen.mack

A proposed alternative to inflatable heat-shields, I tested a theory of a Biconical lander design for bringing humans to Mars, on Duna.

Do you think this is a viable way to soft land humans on Mars?

Are there any other theories you'd like to see tested?

Edited by glen.mack
Video display

16 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Nice stuff. 

So your panels are kinda like large air brakes?

Yea looks like it. I would just use the stock airbrakes in game.

Anyways this looks like a cool idea. I think it's kinda of looks like a parachute that's attached to the craft.

Edited by Dfthu

41 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Nice stuff. 

So your panels are kinda like large air brakes?

Essentially, yes, though I think these are probably more effective and slightly more adjustable, unless used for steering air brakes are on/off only.

I'd be a tad worried about them burning up anywhere but Duna but if that's the only mission target then that's OK. 

In fact, you could place them so that they were behind the main body of the craft even when fully deployed (by rotating them 180°) and they would still slow the craft but they wouldn't heat up. 

41 minutes ago, Foxster said:

I'd be a tad worried about them burning up anywhere but Duna but if that's the only mission target then that's OK. 

In fact, you could place them so that they were behind the main body of the craft even when fully deployed (by rotating them 180°) and they would still slow the craft but they wouldn't heat up. 

I thought the occlusion model would prevent this but you are in fact correct. And to bring up a point from a question on the reddit thread, the petals are between 2 and 4 times as effective as airbrakes, deployed in the same position.

There've been a lot of likes left on the reddit page, and the video itself, so to those interested I just wanted to let you know this is likely to get another installment, with hopefully better audio quality if I can afford a proper mic.

On 1/7/2016 at 7:54 AM, glen.mack said:

Essentially, yes, though I think these are probably more effective and slightly more adjustable, unless used for steering air brakes are on/off only.

Firstly, I really like the petal concept, and a great video explanation.  It's definitely something I would look at for a more controllable de-orbit.

Air brakes are as has been mentioned the stock version of what you are using here.  You can tap or tap and hold "B" to semi deploy the airbrakes, but unlike your design you cannot hold the air-brakes at a certain position so it's not a very elegant solution.  I think it would be really nice to see air brakes slightly more tweak-able in the stock game.  Perhaps engaging brakes fully deploys them to the set limits, but then 2 keys (+- for example or something else that is not already assigned) could be used for small adjustments to the % deployment.

I wonder if that's something that has been regularly suggested in the forum?  If not then I might create a little suggestion thread to see how it goes down....

SM

19 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

Firstly, I really like the petal concept, and a great video explanation.  It's definitely something I would look at for a more controllable de-orbit.

Air brakes are as has been mentioned the stock version of what you are using here.  You can tap or tap and hold "B" to semi deploy the airbrakes, but unlike your design you cannot hold the air-brakes at a certain position so it's not a very elegant solution.  I think it would be really nice to see air brakes slightly more tweak-able in the stock game.  Perhaps engaging brakes fully deploys them to the set limits, but then 2 keys (+- for example or something else that is not already assigned) could be used for small adjustments to the % deployment.

I wonder if that's something that has been regularly suggested in the forum?  If not then I might create a little suggestion thread to see how it goes down....

SM

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and you're absolutely right, the air brakes are under-utilised in the stock version of the game. I don't think I've ever seen something like this suggested (part of the reason I made the video in the first place.) so go for it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.