Best gaming joystick?

Snikersnee

Depends on your needs, actually. I love my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, but AFAIK some come with a throttle with a click-able zero point in the middle, which can be neat for things like Elite:Dangerous. For KSP it works perfectly fine, if kinda over-featured.

And remember the rudder, because you do need a rudder in KSP. Not sure if yours has a twist grip, but it's either that, or pedals. Pedals are cool and work great, but they take up a lot of space. 

EDIT: also, obligatory: this joystick. Tell me if you find a mass-market one ;-)

Edited by ModZero

I find a Playstation-type gamepad to be better for KSP than a joystick. I use this keymap which I find the most logical:

Left Stick: Pitch, yaw

Right Stick: Roll, translate forward/aft

D-pad: Translate up/down, Translate left/right. Also rover wheel drive and steering

L1: Cut engines, also brakes

R1: Full throttle

L2: Decrease throttle

R2: Increase throttle

X: Stage

Square: SAS

Circle: RCS toggle

Triangle: Landing gear

L3 (push left stick in): Precision controls

R3, select and start are spares to be assigned to whatever you find convenient.

This works best for me because pitch/yaw are on the same stick. This makes most sense in space and is acceptable for flying planes. Plus when docking you can first line up with the left stick, then use the D-pad and right stick for translation, while still having roll control on hand for when orientation matters. The D-pad is used for rover wheels as it keeps the reaction wheel controls separate- you can then switch off RCS to prevent control interference.

I use a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS, it works great in KSP and isn't ridiculously expensive for no reason at all.  It's really the same as the one you linked but with a separate throttle module and more intuitive button placement for a right hander.  There is also a new version out, but it is mostly identical except it supports PS4, it's more expensive, and the button numbers are replaced by PS4 button symbols which actually makes it inferior for PC games.

Edited by Alshain

1 minute ago, Alshain said:

ridiculously expensive for no reason at all.

Like the Saitek X52. ;)

Or whatever X version they're up to nowadays.

But it was great for flight sims!

Edited by Randazzo

6 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

Like the Saitek X52. ;)

Or whatever X version they're up to nowadays.

But it was great for flight sims!

Well that one is more expensive for sure, but the Thrustmaster Warhog is the one I was referring to and it is much worse.  There is really no reason for any flight stick to be $400.  Simply put, no game is that precise, even the best of retail PC flight simulators are not that precise.

Edited by Alshain

Not sure if it's the best in any capacity, but the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro has been kind to me (at least when I've been kind to it).

Lots of programmable buttons, comfortable grip, and has lasted me more years than I can believe (had it since Burning Crusade was the latest WoW expansion... musta been 2007-2008, which is, shockingly, nearly 10 years ago).

I also believe it's on the lower end of the pricing spectrum, too.  If you're anything like me, that makes a bit of a difference :)

Edited by Slam_Jones

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any joysticks with independant resistance on the x and y axis? What I mean is that most, like the one I currently have, only seem to use one spring to center the joystick, so if you are say, pulling back on the joystick, there is nothing to keep you wandering a bit to one side or the other except for your own coordination. I want something that has I guess two cradles and two springs, so that there is distinct resistance for left/right movement vs forward/back, like you would find in hydraulic controls. Like, my parents have a backhoe, and it's pretty much impossible to move the controls in a direction you don't want to because each controls two hydraulic valves, and they resist you independently. I want something that feels like that, rather than smoothly rotating in a circle (smooth rotation is really good for moving and aiming in a shooter, but I find undesirable for things like flying).

Edited by Randox

3 hours ago, Randox said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any joysticks with independant resistance on the x and y axis?

You may want to take a look at the CH Products joystick line. They are expensive, but you'll get your money's worth. 

Spoiler

CHSticks.png

You could look for a second-hand one, though that can be hit or miss (I've had both).
I you do, I will recommend trying before buying, meaning that you should examine it in person to feel if it has slop or not.
And even if you think the mechanics are good, it could have a bad potentiometer. But if you're handy, it won't cost you much going this route.

I scored a perfectly fine Saitek X45 this way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.