Achievements possibly coming to KSP

$POLLTITLENAME </funnyjoke>  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think adding achievements to the PC version is a good idea?

• Yes! I've been waiting for this for a long time.
    • Yes.
    • Maybe, if they're good, well designed achievements.
    • Eh, probably not.
    • No. I don't want achievements in KSP!
    • I really don't care at all.

11 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I read the dev notes and didn't take it that they were adding STEAM achievements to the game. I took the talk about achievements as meaning they would be in-game. After all, to have achievements in the game and on PC, Mac, and gaming consoles makes more sense within the scope of the dev notes than having Steam achievements that would only be able for those who have purchased the game through STEAM.

The reason for that interpretation is because of how they said they were doing it to make the PC version congruent to the console version.

"I wrote a PC program.  It has its own internal achievement system" is nothing at all like "I wrote a program.  It gives you Xbox One Achievements".

Whereas:

"I wrote a PC program.  It gives you Steam Achievements" is much much closer to being the same thing as "I wrote a program.  It gives you Xbox One Achievements".

The claim that adding achievements to the PC version is precisely because they already have to do the work anyway for the console achievement systems is why everyone immediately went to thinking of Steam, because that's the PC equivalent.

"This game invented its own internal achievements system that is just stored locally and doesn't tell anyone else about them or fit into any larger achievement structure used by other games" is not the same kind of system at all as what they're doing on the consoles.

If correctly done it could be nice.

-I don't really care if it they are also on steam, as long as they aren't only on there.

-No stupid achievements (go into astronaut complex! Complete 5*10^8 contracts! Get an achievement!....)

-separate tracking for each save in addition to global tracking

-a setting to turn the notifications off.

-have some achievements for more advanced players (Jool-5 or something?)

-no achievement spam, every planet shouldn't have an separate copy-paste achievement for flyby, orbit, landing, return, rover, 10th contract completed....

-Moddable (both add and remove achievements.)

Good achievement system would take a lot of work to make, not sure if worth it.

Edited by Joonatan1998

11 hours ago, Joonatan1998 said:

-a setting to turn the notifications off.

This is the number one feature I demand. I don't care about achievements one way or another, but if I get a pop-up window congratulating me on my game progress every time I do something, it shatters any sense of immersion that I've gained. If achievements are introduced, the first thing I do upon downloading every new version past that will be to turn them off; if that is not an option, I'll find a mod that does so.

I see no reason why they shouldn't be in the game. It's not like I need them, but I like to have some sort of recordings of what I've done so far (also making myself look like one of those xX_KsP0rBiTpR0_N0SaS1440_Xx skillzors in eyes of my friends).

Edited by Veeltch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.