Mk1 Spaceplane Parts

Parts you want redone  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Choose spaceplane parts that need redoes the most!

• Inline Clamp-O-Tron
    • AV-R8 Winglet
    • AV-T1 Winglet
    • Delta Deluxe Winglet
    • CR-7 R.A.P.I.E.R. Engine

I'd like to see some love for the Mk1 spaceplane parts, like the Inline Clamp-O-Tron or the Delta-Deluxe Winglet. Maybe give the inline docking port 50 Monoprop and a light in it. A Mk1 Cargo bay, it can use the same texture as the Structural Fuselage but have hinges. The RAPIER needs to be redone (see Porkalike RAPIER), as well as the winglets.

All in good time.  I agree, all of these need some work, but Porkjet is just one man (I think, but there was that one time...).  If I had to choose I'd say the Inline Clamp-O-Tron needs a texture that fits the Mk1 Fuselage (or really anything in the game) badly.

The inline docking unit is underpowered. It's a cool part in theory, but it weighs far too much compared to just sticking a standard docking port (or heck, even a mini docking port) onto a spaceplane. (Granted, there's an argument to be made for aerodynamics.) I don't know about giving in monoprop, since I imagine it being a hollow tube that Kerbals have to go inside of. (So little to no room for monoprop tanks). That and Spaceplanes, that we generally want to be as small and slick as possible, it adds a lot of length to their profile at times. (Particularly larger ones)

Even if there was some support for something like connected living spaces, where Kerbs can only move through certian parts, there's no penalty to just putting a mini docking port, parking and fueling your plane that way, and EVAing them over to the station or vessel. (Maybe with Tourists who can't go EVA and connected living spaces it would be useful...?)

It could do with a texture pass though. It looks a little grimy compared to the slick, polished look of most of the spaceplane parts these days.

Edited by Kuansenhama

I agree it weighs too much but it needs balancing along with its overhaul.  Realistically it shouldn't have more than Mk1 Fuselage mass + Clamp-O-Tron mass because that is really all it is (0.15t).

I think Monoprop could fit if you kept the current mass, perhaps not as much as the Mk2 dock even on the current model, there is room around the actual dock for some custom fit tanks.

Inline_Clamp-O-Tron_%28Opened%29.png

Edited by Alshain

I think the MK1 inline docking port should move the hinge to upper position, like the MK2 docking port , current design is not possible to place another MK1 part on both sides, the animation will break the ship.

If there is not enough space to move the hinge up, maybe reduce the docking size to MK0 is an option, I think MK1 class ship use MK0 size docking port is OK

• 2 weeks later...

I want the Delta winglet to be fixed. Currently, the only similarity between the winglet and other delta wings are the name. they share no aesthetic similarity, and it drives my OCD brain completely nuts...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.