First KTS Failure.

Kerbonaut.Bacon

Well the first ever KTS (Kerbal Transportation System) failure happened to me today by a bug I have never seen before. Both of my BigS Wing-strakes collided into the launch pad even though I was in space.And when I went to land the entire belly of the ship got torn into pieces by hitting the launchpad but I was on the runway. If any one of you had experiences with this bug please let me know so that we could ask Squad to take a look and see what they can do.

Kerbonaut Bacon,

Looks like you got bit by the 11th Kerbal mathematical law (the Spaceplane Collider Paradox):

"This rule can be summed as: "The farther away you are from KSC, the more likely it is that you will crash into it.", hence the "paradox" denomination. "

Seriously, this is a known bug and Squad is aware of it. They've had a difficult time fixing it because it's so hard to duplicate.

Best,

-Slashy

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

Seriously, this is a known bug and Squad is aware of it. They've had a difficult time fixing it because it's so hard to duplicate.

Well, crap.  Wish I'd known that.  A month or two ago I had a save game with a craft (not really a plane, but a lawn-dart-type thingy with some rudimentary wings & fins) was approaching KSC, and was getting its wings ripped off by a building collision while still a couple of kilometers away... and as luck would have it, I had a quicksave from just a minute or so before it happened.  And was totally repeatable.  Every single time I loaded and ran it, BAM there go the wings.

It's long gone.  If I'd known this was a hard-to-repro problem I would have saved the .sfs and sent it in.  Oh well.

This bug is the sole reason I use quick saves a lot with space planes.. I don't mind facing the consequences of messing up, but flying a re-entry fully manually and then lose your wings on final or during the flare because of a bug is sort of an irritator.

You can 'fix' the bug by unloading KSP and reloading the whole game. This bug seems to appear after many save/loads and disappears after game restart, even if you load the offending quicksave. That's why it's so hard to replicate. Only happens to spaceplane wings, though.

31 minutes ago, Borsek said:

You can 'fix' the bug by unloading KSP and reloading the whole game. This bug seems to appear after many save/loads and disappears after game restart, even if you load the offending quicksave. That's why it's so hard to replicate. Only happens to spaceplane wings, though.

My experience is that it's not really predictable. I've had it occur three times in a row, and I've had it not occur for three flights. Generally a single quick load will remedy it. In my experience, unloading KSP has no noticeable effect.

Thankfully we can now quick load & save in flight.

On 1/20/2016 at 10:04 PM, CliftonM said:

I hope it'll eventually get fixed.  If you can revert, it's completely fair. :)

I hate reverting for some reason, feels quite cheaty to me,

On 1/20/2016 at 8:05 AM, Snarfster said:

My experience is that it's not really predictable. I've had it occur three times in a row, and I've had it not occur for three flights. Generally a single quick load will remedy it. In my experience, unloading KSP has no noticeable effect.

Thankfully we can now quick load & save in flight.

Thanks for that information!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.