What today means to me......

maceemiller

So, normally im a strict forum user with only KSP on my mind, but todays been different and I just wanna share it with a bunch of like minded strangers im never going to meet yet feel I have a connection with.....

Since September 2012 my granddaughter has been on a child protection act due to her parents being dependent on drink and drugs with violence thrown into the mix. My wife and I have been there for Charlie (granddaughter) every day of her life.

Last year saw a time where she had to move in with us due to her parents neglect. As of writing this post, 6 months after she became in our care she is now longer a protected child. She now has a stable life and a blank page future, which any 3 year old should have......

To top the day off ive been trying to give up smoking. 11 days ago I used to smoke 20-25 cigarettes a day. Ive tried really hard to cut down so im pleased to announce that today is the first day in 27 years ive not had 1 cigarette :)

Today......its been the best - not sure why but wanted to tell anyone who'd listen.....

....thanks ;)

You just made a grown mans eyes water.

I'm really sorry to hear that Charlie had to go through such hardship so early in her life, but the situation sure sounds a lot better for her now. I realize that growing up without parents is not something any child should face, but in this case it seems to be in her the best interest. You're a very good person to take her in and even try to do your best to further better yourself by stopping smoking, making a better environment for Charlie in the process.

I know we here are a bunch of strangers, but if it helps you in even the slightest to talk to us, we're here for you.

Say hi to Charlie and missus!

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

You just made a grown mans eyes water.

I'm really sorry to hear that Charlie had to go through such hardship so early in her life, but the situation sure sounds a lot better for her now. I realize that growing up without parents is not something any child should face, but in this case it seems to be in her the best interest. You're a very good person to take her in and even try to do your best to further better yourself by stopping smoking, making a better environment for Charlie in the process.

I know we here are a bunch of strangers, but if it helps you in even the slightest to talk to us, we're here for you.

Say hi to Charlie and missus!

Me and the wife will do anything to ensure Charlie has a chance in life just like any other. Shes flourishing now :) As for the smoking it is hard, but as we are going through the process of foster caring her the agency take a dim view on cigarettes around children which I understand so decided to quit.

Shes my inspiration along with everyone who's commented on this thread. Also, Charlie loves watching KSP and anything that comes on TV to do with space, rockets etc. she gets so excited!

Maybe she could be the first British female astronaut to space walk........ :)

Edited by maceemiller
Error

It seems Charlie brings out the best in you!

With that, I'm sure you can succeed in stopping smoking permanently.
I know it can be done. My mom stopped smoking cold-turkey after 45 years of the stuff. It's been about 5 years now.
So I'm very proud of her and of you.

Now, you can bring out the best of your granddaughter!

• 4 months later...

So, a quick update.......

I still havnt smoked a cigarette but more importantly myself and my wife our now Charlies legal guardians which basically means she is ours forever. We need not worry no more.

And as an added bonus were all off to the coast on holiday for the week today :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.