How did you come to get your screen name?

hpearson

My real name is Johnathan. However, I am Australian; and we always shorten everything. Every Johnathan in the country is automatically Johno. :)

That said, my usual nickname is 'Sir.' School kids can't be bothered learning names. :)

You shorten everything you say? My mother reckons I need shortening...

After cycling to college in a thunder storm a friend described me as looking like a half drowned ferret. From that moment onwards I was known as ferret and there are some friends who still don't know my real name. Add in a slight typo and the rest is history :)

until 1985 my 'screen name' was Mr. X ... the name i used in my 'cracked' Games for the gooood old C64 ...

Then a day i heard there is another cracking group with this name, much members .... ;)

so i think about a new name and since 1986 my 'screen name' was Doby ... first three letters from my last name and a 'y' ... thats it.

Today .... most people i know call me Doby in RL also ...

Way back in the days when my friends were jealous of my 2400-baud modem on my Tandy computer, I thought the name 'Cray' would indicate all sorts of super-smartness because, y'know, Cray Supercomputers were awesome and I was so super-smart.

And in the subsequent 20-odd years of online interaction and despite ego-crushing grades in college that let me know I wasn't quite as smart as I thought, I stuck with 'cray.' Consistency.

Usually I go by Carol Rawley, but this time, i forgot the space.

Carol Rawley is an idol of mine from the halo franchise.

You can read about her here: http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Carol_Rawley

Also, info on my XBL Tag: http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?GamerTag=Carol%20Rawley

...and my Bungie.net profile: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=Carol+Rawley&sg=0

...and something random: random.yahoo.com/bin/ryl

My first online name was runeburner11. I made it to play runescape. I used variations of that for adventure quest and kongregate and some forums but I eventually stopped playing runescape. When I got my ps3 I had to make a PSN ID. I love reading the Star Wars republic commando novels so i named myself republiccomando1. This was a little too long and most people called me republic or commando or littlerep. So I decided to make a new one still referencing the commando novels. Venku is the name of the son of a commando and a jedi given to him by his godfather. Unfortunately in the next book it gets changed because his father said if he ever had a son he'd want him to be called Kad. :( I added the 122 because its quick to type and most websites require a username longer than 6 characters and it needs numbers.

Right. Names. Ok so Frogger. When i was little ( 2-5 ish ) i used to hop around in this sitting/squatting stance so my parents used to call me Fred Frog ( after Freddo Frog ) then as i grew slightly older the parents stopped calling me that ( i still occasionally get Fred though) but i continued to like frogs. then i needed a name for playing games and i used to use Frog, but over time it changed to Frogger. Although its more popular than i would like so i usually have to use Frogger88 or Frogger888 or something similar.

So in conculsion it has nothing to do with the game called Frogger.

and thats my long and rather boring name story

There's an early Cheapass Games product called 'Kill Dr. Lucky' which purportedly is the prelude to a game of 'Clue' -- everyone's trying to kill the NPC Dr Lucky. At my workplace in the 90s, I was king of the RTS games we played, so multiplayer games tended to be 'Get Him First Or We'll All Lose'. Which seemed fair. So I started calling the games I hosted 'Kill Dr. Lucky', and took the handle 'Dr Lucky' just to make things clear.

It stuck.

When teaching people how to play 3-or-more-player strategy games, I now use the following guidelines, in increasing order of importance:

Rule 3: Let's You and Him Fight Encourage two of your opponents to fight, depleting them both.

Rule 2: Don't Lose Seems obvious, but do not make a move which guarantees the loss. No matter how long the odds, play as though a win is possible. If the top card has to be the 8 of clubs to win, assume it is and play accordingly.

Rule 1: Win Again, seems obvious, but if you have a winning move, take it. Many, many people miss this one, in pursuit of a grander strategy.

Rule 0: Kill Dr. Lucky Need I say more?

There's an early Cheapass Games product called 'Kill Dr. Lucky' which purportedly is the prelude to a game of 'Clue' -- everyone's trying to kill the NPC Dr Lucky. At my workplace in the 90s, I was king of the RTS games we played, so multiplayer games tended to be 'Get Him First Or We'll All Lose'. Which seemed fair. So I started calling the games I hosted 'Kill Dr. Lucky', and took the handle 'Dr Lucky' just to make things clear.

It stuck.

When teaching people how to play 3-or-more-player strategy games, I now use the following guidelines, in increasing order of importance:

Rule 3: Let's You and Him Fight Encourage two of your opponents to fight, depleting them both.

Rule 2: Don't Lose Seems obvious, but do not make a move which guarantees the loss. No matter how long the odds, play as though a win is possible. If the top card has to be the 8 of clubs to win, assume it is and play accordingly.

Rule 1: Win Again, seems obvious, but if you have a winning move, take it. Many, many people miss this one, in pursuit of a grander strategy.

Rule 0: Kill Dr. Lucky Need I say more?

DIE DR LUCKY DIE

Abraham-Lincoln-Shooting.jpg

!eid tsum ykcuLrD

There's a long and involved story which really doesn't matter. These days, the reason I use this username is 'because I've used this username everywhere I have an account for the last ten years, and it's MINE.' Astoundingly, it's never taken, so my handle is as unique as my actual name (which I have reason to believe is completely unique in the UK, and may well be completely unique in the USA as well...), so you can be sure that wherever you see this nick, it's this person.

• 1 year later...

Once I thought of names that sound Italian for no reason, no reason at all. One of them was 'Panazzi', I used that a little bit, and among others was 'Panichio', and now that has stuck with me for a long time weirdly. It's a very meaningless username but at least it's not surrounded by 'xX' or '01451'... I've been called 'Pan', and 'Pani' before, because 'Panichio' is too long to type for some, but 'Pani' was as far as it went, I thought someone would end up just calling me 'Panini', but that never happened...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.