What's an FTL type engine?

Themohawkninja

It has already been seen that a few things can travel faster than c, like light in certain media. 'No that\'ll never work' is simply not a response that\'ll ever get us anywhere... and to whoever said the Infinite Improbability drive was impossible simply doesn\'t understand it - it\'s creation is infinitely improbable - not impossible.

Light is massless. Things with mass cannot, under the modern understanding of physics, travel at the speed of light.

Also, look up \'refractive index less than 1\' for different mediums. (ref. index of a vacuum is 1)

I know this - but the modern understanding of physics is all about change. I\'m not sure if the warp drive discussed earlier was the same one I\'ve read about (using the carsimir effect and exotic fuel) - the one I read about made it pretty clear that it wouldn\'t work until we 1) figure out a feasible way to manufacture exotic fuel sources 2) Fix physics so it works :D

Personally I\'m of the 'absolutely no point in space travel IRL' opinion (KSP is swaying me a bit but I stick by it). I know I want to get off this planet but there\'s no way that\'ll ever happen without other humans which kind of defeats the purpose.

A bit more on topic, a warp driving that works 'on string theory' is of course theoretically possible because string theory makes everything theoretically possible ???

A bit more on topic, a warp driving that works 'on string theory' is of course theoretically possible because string theory makes everything theoretically possible ???

Like omniquantism.

Or my idea that God can exist but the Universe can also have come into existance independantly, by means of the fact that in non-existance, no laws exist, so nothing is impossible, so everything can happen. Including universes and gods and Science as we know it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.