The Cheap and Cheerful recoverable variant

Nich

The Cheap and Cheerful recoverable variant

With the success of the original challenge here  I thought it was time for a recoverable variant.  I will be keeping track of the top 5 rocket and airbreathing entries

Rules

1. Acceptable Mods MJ, KER, tweakscale, FMRS however they will get a *MJ, *KER, *TS, *FMRS

2. Stock parts

3. No hyperedit, infinite fuel, kraken drives

4. Min 70x70 orbit

5. Payload is dead weight. Electricity, Mono, and reaction wheels must be disabled.  No lifting surfaces allowed on payload

6. Decoupler must stay with the lifter

6. Rocket entries can not use airbreathing

Scoring

(Total Funds - payload funds - recovered funds)/payload mass

Unlimited

Nich 92.94/t *KER

Rocket

My starting entry is

Total: 105400

Payload: 14898

Recovered: 87251

Payload: 34t

92.94/t

I would normally be disqualified as I did not show payload cost or lifter without payload but it is my challenge so I trust me.  This is a pretty sad entry with only 37.6% payload fraction

I suspect the payload fraction challenges will do quite will but I don't know if they are necessarily optimal it will be interesting to see what we learn.  If tonnage runs away because fuel is so cheap I reserve the right to change the rules.

Edited by Nich

It can be done in the map screen.  And to those who think KER doesn't give you an advantage I have personally increased my efficiency by 10-20% using KER.  The special tags don't really count against you but if someone does it bone stock I want to make sure they receive special acknowledgment.  I am also willing to accept other mods as long as there not too op.  Just ask

eOf3PKW.png

The map screen makes cheating rather easy, since you can't see the craft the only thing to go by is the name, and name can be changed. In any event it's a simple case of designing with KER turned on then not actually attaching KER to the rocket. Would that deserve the KER tag or not?

Well I tried over winging it and you just cant get enough lift above 30km for it to pay for its self couldn't even get it to orbit.  I also tried over engines and it didn't pay for itself either at 130/t

6WvvLTl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.