Remote KSP mod/ship installation?

Hobbes Novakoff

So I have three devices which I browse the forums on-my desktop, my laptop, and my iPhone. Like many people here, sometimes I come across a mod or ship that I want to check out ingame. However, I can't play KSP on my iPhone (for now) and my laptop is not good for KSP, so I do all my KSP-ing on my desktop.

Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. Using Dropbox from my laptop or phone, I put the files in, and they get downloaded to my desktop basically instantaneously (the desktop is on 24/7). I was wondering if I could somehow make a lightweight script or some such that keeps an eye on two folders in my Dropbox folder on my computer, and if it sees anything, automatically move it over to the GameData or Ships folder. (I have very little programming experience.) 

If you have any other ideas for how to accomplish this, just tell me-my solution is certainly a convoluted bit of work. Speaking of, relevant xkcd:

workaround.png

Keep your GameData folder in dropbox. That lets you straight out install a mod from somewhere else. It's been a long time since I've used dropbox, so I don't know how easy it is to configure it to use multiple folders like that. But worst case you can use symbolic links to achieve this. 

8 hours ago, stibbons said:

Keep your GameData folder in dropbox. That lets you straight out install a mod from somewhere else. It's been a long time since I've used dropbox, so I don't know how easy it is to configure it to use multiple folders like that. But worst case you can use symbolic links to achieve this. 

I was thinking of doing that, but my Dropbox doesn't have enough storage to sync everything.

5 hours ago, Shpaget said:

AutoHotkey can do that quite easily.

https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/FileMove.htm

You'll need to write some simple logic to decide when to move the files (so they get moved only after the download is complete).

That seems like it would work... However, what exactly is AutoHotKey, and how would I use it? 

It's a macro tool. It can run automated task, record an replay mouse and keyboard activity, manipulate other program running on the computer etc. It's very powerful, yet relatively simple to use. It does require writing a small amout of code.

You download the program, write your script and run it on your desktop. The code, as I imagine this approach, would every now and then check your dropbox folder and if there is anything in it, the script moves it to the KSP. There should be a logic check to make sure the script waits for the download to finish. Probably the simplest way would be to check the folder size and if there was no change for more than a few minutes, it goes ahead and moves the files.

Edited by Shpaget

11 hours ago, Shpaget said:

There should be a logic check to make sure the script waits for the download to finish. Probably the simplest way would be to check the folder size and if there was no change for more than a few minutes, it goes ahead and moves the files.

Alright, thanks a lot! I'll try that out once I get back to my desk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.