[Early WIP] kOS-Editor

tajampi

Well I kinda out of suggestions on what to do(Please suggest some)

0cPAdYG.png

8 minutes ago, Sequinox said:

This is looking nice! As a future feature, I think it would be nice to have buttons that insert common things into code(eg: Stage at altitude,). I hope I'm making sense here.

That would be awesome :D

Hello again!

Yesterday i made a VGA like API, basically each character contains a foreground and a background color, that's why I can't simply render them to a transparent PNG.

Today I will have the first playable demo, but i'm thinking of the different ways to manage input, specially international.

My idea is to use an invisible Unity text-box which manages input, everything but arrow movement and special keys should be managed.

Will post soon!

EDIT: RiderFighter, I made this model to keep the screen size at 760x760:

1cmSvGG.png

(The monitor can be as big as you want, but that size looks balanced ;))

EDIT: The window is working! Little is left to do until playable demo!

EDIT2: Yes! The window, screen and VGA are working together (Well, VGA ALMOST works)

Edited by tajampi

9 hours ago, Sequinox said:

I would change the color palate at the bottom for the saving, loading, etc.

Cool will do!

@tajampi I can just resize the old one and scale it to the new size!

Edit: Slight thing I noticed the new size is 950x950 pixels and the old is 768x768 but nothing is too hard to do !

7 minutes ago, Riderfighter said:

Cool will do!

@tajampi I can just resize the old one and scale it to the new size!

Edit: Slight thing I noticed the new size is 950x950 pixels and the old is 768x768 but nothing is too hard to do !

Oh, the monitor area starts at 95, 95 and ends at 855, 855 (The edges!)

That way we have the 760x760 pixels of screen

Also, the display is fully working (except VGA, but it won't take much), now working on input, which is going to be troubly!

Edited by tajampi

2 minutes ago, tajampi said:

Oh, the monitor area starts at 95, 95 and ends at 855, 855 (The edges!)

That way we have the 760x760 pixels of screen

Also, the display is fully working (except VGA, but it won't take much), now working on input, which is going to be troubly!

Cool should I include the buttons I made?

Edit: Also should I re-outline like I did before?

28 minutes ago, Riderfighter said:

@tajampi So here is it being converted to new size any new ideas?

YlppeOb.png

Wow! That looks amazing :)

Really like the colors of the UI at the bottom!

I would add some buttons at the bottom of the screen, for turning on and off the monitor, here is what I mean: (Big image!)

Spoiler

DSC01030.jpg

Just a on-off button and a light are enough, who cares about contrast :P

Just now, tajampi said:

Wow! That looks amazing :)

Really like the colors of the UI at the bottom!

I would add some buttons at the bottom of the screen, for turning on and off the monitor, here is what I mean: (Big image!)

Hide contents

DSC01030.jpg

Just a on-off button and a light are enough, who cares about contrast :P

Challenge accepted....

1 hour ago, Riderfighter said:

@tajampi Can you suggest anymore changes?

That looks really good! Will download it and add the logo to the top, and it's pretty much done for release ;)

Pretty much all rendering is finished, the VGA thing works!

Now I have to finish input, which is going to be hard!

Well, the plugin is no more than a window with a red background and white characters saying "Hello World" :P

I will release the plugin (prototype) in the moment input is working! (Possibly early tomorrow)

Edited by tajampi

I noticed your github page doesn't contain the font image PNG file you're using to get the codepage437 symbols.

I was wondering about permission to use it for a test I'm trying to carry out on kOS itself.  I just made a change to support making a drop-in replacement for the font_sml.png file that kOS ships with that would (in principle) let you replace it with any other font image of your choosing provided that you adhered to the following pattern:

- The file must contain exactly 16 letter pictures across the width.  So for example if the image file is 128 px wide, then that means each letter image is 8 px wide.  If it was 192 px wide, then each letter would be assumed to be 12px wide.
- Each letter picture must be square (pixel width = pixel height).  It can get stretched when displaying, but the texture file needs it to be square.
- The ascii codes ascend starting at zero in the upper-left of the image and counting width-wise first then row-wise (e.g since it is 16 letter images wide, that would mean that, ascii code 65, for example, is on row 4, column 1 of the image (counting from zero, that is)
- The height can be anything as long as it is an exact integer multiple of the letter cell size (image width / 16).  How big it is will determine which ascii or unicode chars you can print.  Hypothetically you could support all of unicode if you made an image file that was really REALLY tall.

Anyway what I'd like to try is taking your font image and manipulating it into the format mentioned above and seeing if kOS will work with it, to prove that the system is working. 

I toyed with adding codepage 437 support, but have been balking at doing it "officially" because we'd like to go to a full Unicode support some day once Unity starts letting us include proper font files.  That would then break backward compatibility with scripts written to assume codepage 437 is in use, because Unicode uses those codes for Latin-1 instead and puts the box-drawing chars in a higher block.
But if we let users put in their OWN font file, then that potential future-compatibility problem is their own fault so to speak and we don't have to worry about supporting it.

Here's an example I cooked up today:
http://i.imgur.com/vsqfssv.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.