So simple pleasure ...

Warzouz

And BTW, I just tested KerbalX to Duna. I had to cheat 600m/s to get back. (I was able to reorbit, but no fuel left for the escape +  transfer. KerbalX is very ill equiped to land on Duna. Drogues would save a lot of fuel.

On 3/10/2016 at 1:17 AM, Warzouz said:

Yes, that must be it. Before 1.0, the dV was 4500m/s. Now it's around 3200m/s. That means KerbalX couldn't get back from the Mun. It may have been possible to get back from Minmus though.

I think that's a good thing that stock game proved a rocket example which is able to go to all Kerbin SOI bodies. I feel that many other stock examples are useless and even don't seems provide any educational value.

Think of the stock craft not so much for educational value but more engineer value. They are enough to take you somewhere. It is up to you to build on them to take them further. That's part of the magic of KSP, where you teach yourself.

On 2016-03-10 at 9:55 PM, samstarman5 said:

Before atmospherics changed, I read that one could take the Kerbal X as far as landing on the Mun as it is provided. So it might very well be quite possible to return with the X now.

Initially, the Kerbal X couldn't do a return, but during the final days of the Souposphere (0.25-0.90 or thereabouts), there was an engine balance pass that significantly improved engines across the board, and you COULD return from the Mun with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.