Model Rocketry Thread

Vostok

Since playing KSP, I\'ve revived a fascination with rockets (hasn\'t everyone?), and have since been making multiple models of rockets. Feel free to post any of your own projects here!

Papercraft, kits, launch models, whatever. :)

To kick off this thread, I\'d like to start with a few of my own projects -

Mark I and II of my own design, hopefully functional, rocket. Mk I burned on the pad, so MkII is now made of metal, so it can\'t melt like the last one. I make the fuel myself, it\'s a mixture of Kno3 (Potassium Nitrate) and Sugar, there are heaps of online tutorials on how to do this.

MkI:

MkI Launch video here.

The remains

dsc0490ok.jpg

MkII:

dsc0496i.jpg

Compared to the MkI

dsc0498mu.jpg

dsc0499ol.jpg

Model of the Saturn V command module. This one I am somewhat unsatisfied with. When I applied the tin foil to give it a shiny texture, it was perfectly smooth, then when the glue dried, it went all wrinkly, and left me with a poor surface texture.

dsc0497a.jpg

All three:

dsc0491s.jpg

A papercraft space shuttle (a bit battered, it\'s fairly old now, and I\'ve been trying to get it to glide in a manner similar to the real shuttle) and Jeb Kerman. Not really a rocket, but a rocket man nonetheless.

dsc0500ud.jpg

I made the same papercraft shuttle a few years back. I had the intent of strapping it to a water bottle rocket did up like the space shuttle launch system with two SRB\'s (non working). Sadly I never finished the project since I wanted to make an elaborate launch system.

I was very surprised that it didn\'t become a nice plate of L\'escargots avec plastique en train de fondre, especially since all the window plastic was melted in the command module. But it survived, amazingly. I\'ve made a better command module for the next launch, which will take place as soon as I sort out the ceramic nozzle throat on the Mk II.

I was very surprised that it didn\'t become a nice plate of L\'escargots avec plastique en train de fondre, especially since all the window plastic was melted in the command module. But it survived, amazingly. I\'ve made a better command module for the next launch, which will take place as soon as I sort out the ceramic nozzle throat on the Mk II.

Im excited! is this flight gonna be unmanned or is another snail gonna be a test pilot :P

I\'ve made a more secure C.M. with a screw on lid (the one that looks like the KSP mkI pod) which should hopefully hold some more crewmembers for the MkII launch. I was hoping for ants, or woodlice, but I\'ll see what presents itself on launch day. (I.E. see who passes the aptitude test*)

Aptitude test: who can\'t run away fast enough.

but I\'ll see what presents itself on launch day. (I.E. see who passes the aptitude test*)

Aptitude test: who can\'t run away fast enough.

Sounds like the way the Kerbals do it. Now all you need to do is to strap random boosters to it.

• 2 weeks later...

The next launch* is scheduled for tomorrow. The fuel mix was pretty poor, I didn\'t drive off enough water - hopefully it will burn better under high pressure inside the engine than it did when I tested it on a ceramic tile.

Better rocket nozzle manufactured, ceramic throat with a metal bell, all bolted into a metal tube, carrying the fuel. No more melted rockets.

I shall post again with details of the explosion launch.

*Light the fuse and run away.

I only just got into this stuff, so I\'m really glad there\'s now a thread about it!

I recently got an Estes Alpha III for my birthday and finished building it the other night:

d97c2d6ecc7211e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

I called it the Sass-1... Being from the UK, I don\'t really want USA written all over my rocket.

Hoping to launch it tomorrow, provided the weather is okay. Pretty excited.

What I really want to do is build a flight computer... not necessarily for this rocket, probably for a bigger one with more room. It\'ll have GPS and an SD card for tracking trajectory, and maybe a GSM module for texting me its location once it\'s landed. Then perhaps when I\'m really confident with this stuff, I might try gimballing with a Gyroscope and Accelerometers...

Great thread for us KSP Rocket Scientist Nuts.

Has inspured me to start doing it myself, hay its a chance to work with explosives... :)

But a serious question:

The Organic Specimen, an EGG. Are they Fresh or Hard boiled?

For best results?

I will be starting, right from the start, Diet Coke an Mentoes.. :D

Then investing it some amature rockets using gun powder, then maybe formulate my own fuel.

Please keep an eye out for a new blog, an be patient.

(Waiting for good weather {Typical Irish Weather} an the field behind my house to be cut, before spraying it in coke, setting it alight.)

Great first attempt Vostok, the failed launch was hilarious. I am keen to see MK2.

Anyone considered a sparkler-fueled rocket?

My cousin and I tried to set off a sparkler bomb one 4th of July and it blew a hole out the back end, launched itself about 100 feet from starting point. This was with a pinecone-shaped lump, so I imagine a proper job might be able to utilize this...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.