[0.17] Flags with Multiple texture options + Make your own flag (v1.3.1)

MrMadGameplay

I landed the flag on a \'relatively\' flat piece of Mun and it spun around forever in near-zero G and eventually settled on a bizarre angle. I could then push the flag around the surface with a EVA Kerbal and when I did so, I could \'push\' an invisible part of the flag. I assume that the actual model isn\'t shaped the same as what you see, ie there is more than a flag and post to this object. Is it possible this invisible part of the object upsets the balance of the flag making it difficult to keep upright?

Love the part - I\'ve got flags all over the Mun - I drop one everytime I land to mark all my historic landing spots. :)

I landed the flag on a \'relatively\' flat piece of Mun and it spun around forever in near-zero G and eventually settled on a bizarre angle. I could then push the flag around the surface with a EVA Kerbal and when I did so, I could \'push\' an invisible part of the flag. I assume that the actual model isn\'t shaped the same as what you see, ie there is more than a flag and post to this object. Is it possible this invisible part of the object upsets the balance of the flag making it difficult to keep upright?

Love the part - I\'ve got flags all over the Mun - I drop one everytime I land to mark all my historic landing spots. :)

Ya it is relatively hard to make the flag have a ballast without actually programming it into the game through plugins but for the time being I have used the collide mesh as a sort of ballast.

Any chance you could make the flag grabable by an EVA kerbal? May have to be done through a plug-in.

Just a suggestion :)

[in Jeff Steitzer voice] Beatdown!

Lolz, I have to get the images of playing CTF on Halo out of my head.... somehow I doubt Kerbins would attempt to beat each other to death with flags, but you never know....

Any chance you could make the flag grabable by an EVA kerbal? May have to be done through a plug-in.

Just a suggestion :)

Yesterday I found out that adding functions to EVA Kerbals works exactly the way I expected it to do, and I had the idea of making some equipment for them, maybe I\'ll look at placing flags too since it\'s been suggested very often.

I have a problem with the flag, i have it placed on a decoupler and when i activate it so that it decouples (on the mun) it flies away, making a couple of spins and slam right in the ground, exploding.

I have even tried to lower the ejection force to 0.001, still flies away.

What do?

I have reduced the ejection force, the mass and the impact tolerance and I attach the flag directly to the side of a fuel tank so it sits just above the ground. You don\'t need to attach it to a decoupler - it IS a decoupler.

I reduced the mass to be almost nothing. It is after all a wooden stick with material.

I reduced the impact tolerance because my ships would explode in orbit and the ship would disintegrate but my flag would fall and survive. After finding about 10 flags littered about the ocean I thought it was time to fix that one.

The ejection force is set to 2 on mine so it pretty much just drops to the ground and not skid across it.

Hope that helps. :)

Hello, sorry for problems people are experiencing, I am editing and test non stop to try and make the flag work better, I will be updating it soon once I smooth everything out.

Keep an eye on the title for it to change to the latest version.

Thanks.

No need to apologise. You owe us nothing. :)

If you are revising the package, please consider my cfg edits above. I\'ve already got mine set the way I like it but it might help others (and yourself) if my edits make sense.

I have reduced the ejection force, the mass and the impact tolerance and I attach the flag directly to the side of a fuel tank so it sits just above the ground. You don\'t need to attach it to a decoupler - it IS a decoupler.

I reduced the mass to be almost nothing. It is after all a wooden stick with material.

I reduced the impact tolerance because my ships would explode in orbit and the ship would disintegrate but my flag would fall and survive. After finding about 10 flags littered about the ocean I thought it was time to fix that one.

The ejection force is set to 2 on mine so it pretty much just drops to the ground and not skid across it.

Hope that helps. :)

How do you position your flag?

I mean like on the fuel tank, with the X stand downward?

Because i tried this and when i separated the flag just disappeared. (Turns out it 'Collided with the ground')

I just attach it directly to the side of a fuel tank so the X faces down. There is a bit of a \'clip\' problem in that the tank goes through the flag but when it ejects - the flag is fine.

I position the flag so that it sits just above the ground when legs are extended. Test the lander on the launch pad. Position your flag, go to launch pad. Extend the lander legs. Check that the flag pole is a little above the ground. If it\'s good then build/attach your launher/lifter and you\'re good to go.

I\'ll attach screenies later.

I still have problems getting the flag to stay upright once it hits the ground. That is an issue with the model and maybe, fingers crossed, a solution can be found for this.

I just attach it directly to the side of a fuel tank so the X faces down. There is a bit of a \'clip\' problem in that the tank goes through the flag but when it ejects - the flag is fine.

I position the flag so that it sits just above the ground when legs are extended. Test the lander on the launch pad. Position your flag, go to launch pad. Extend the lander legs. Check that the flag pole is a little above the ground. If it\'s good then build/attach your launher/lifter and you\'re good to go.

I\'ll attach screenies later.

I still have problems getting the flag to stay upright once it hits the ground. That is an issue with the model and maybe, fingers crossed, a solution can be found for this.

Ah, i didn\'t think the clipping problem would do anything, so i ignored it, seems i was wrong. :)

Anyhow, it works perfectly now. Tho a easier solution would be nice.

I\'ve done a few flags, but I thought it was about time I showed some love for my country :D

texture supplied as well.

I tried putting my flag as you have in your screenshot, but alas, still 'collided with the ground'.

Must be some spell on my flag or something.

Edit: I had a goddamn landing leg in the way. :-[

I tried putting my flag as you have in your screenshot, but alas, still 'collided with the ground'.

Must be some spell on my flag or something.

Edit: I had a goddamn landing leg in the way. :-[

Yeah, that\'s why I started attaching the structural pylons to the side of the ship. Gets the flag out a bit further. I also put a flag on either side of the ship. I do that for two reasons. The first is for balance, and the second is that I have a better chance of a flag landing upright :D

I\'ve been thinking of trying out the robotics and see if I can build an arm to swing the flag out and away from the ship before it gets released. I think it should be possible, but I\'ve not had much luck in getting the robotics to work the way I think they should. lol

Oh sure! Be advised that this is the lander only. It\'s almost entirely stock with the only mods being the flag (of course) and mechjeb.

Thanks. :)

I wonder if you have the full version? I mean, you must have gotten the lander to the mun right? :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.