Will it be possible to set up a colony with legs?

Hi there,

I'm waiting for 1.1, currently I'm in an half-a-year break from KSP.

My latest goal was to set up a Minmus base made up of several modules for living, power generation, ISRU...

The modules would have been connected with tubes. All modules and tubes were planned to have landing legs. Then, a small rover could drive beneath the modules and carry them around and let them connect to each other.

Well, wasn't working. The different weight of the modules made that the legs sunk. Thus, the connectors were on different heigths and wont connect.

I didn't use 3rd-party-parts.

Will this be possible in stock 1.1? I've read there will be some overhauls with the legs.

Edited by lugge

1 minute ago, lugge said:

Hi there,

I'm waiting for 1.1, currently I'm in an half-an-year break from KSP.

My latest goal was to set up a Minmus base made up of several modules for living, power generation, ISRU...

The modules would have been connected with tubes. All modules and tubes were planned to have landing legs. Then, a small rover could drive beneath the modules and carry them around and let them connect to each other.

Well, wasn't working. The different weight of the modules made that the legs sunk. Thus, the connectors were on different heigths and wont connect.

I didn't use 3rd-party-parts.

Will this be possible in stock 1.1? I've read there will be some overhauls with the legs.

I have done this in the current version without mods. The trick is to try and make sure that there is very little clearance between the docking port of your rover and modules. Also don't make them too heavy.  It's a very good idea to test it at KSP to make sure you can assemble everything before you ship it out. the biggest problem I have is keeping them stable in lower gravity while assembling. That and landing the parts relatively close together. 

2 minutes ago, Basto said:

I have done this in the current version without mods. The trick is to try and make sure that there is very little clearance between the docking port of your rover and modules. Also don't make them too heavy.  It's a very good idea to test it at KSP to make sure you can assemble everything before you ship it out. the biggest problem I have is keeping them stable in lower gravity while assembling. That and landing the parts relatively close together. 

Yes, I tried at KSC.

My problem was the modules would sunk randomly to the ground.

I understand that a housing module is more heavy than a connector-tube-module.

However, I even had problems connecting two housing modules with the exact same design.

I drove them together, dropped the rover and the completely-the-same modules were standing in front of each other with connectors in different heigths!! I was very liquided...

However, landing on a specific spot on a moon was easy for me, I found some really good videos showing target-landing. This, and my favorite craft, the SKYCRANE :-)

OK, back to my question, will 1.1 change the way the legs are working?

It might change the way the underlying model works, but they should be functionally the same.

One thing you can do to avoid the height differences is right click on each leg and click "Lock Suspension". It will make the legs rigid.

1 hour ago, Nich said:

You can also raise and lower a pair of legs and docking ports will connect if they are close enough.

what Nich says is true, you could also use landing legs to raise the port up to the desired height then have the modules connect and then rise the legs again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.