How heavy can you make a spaceplane?

They can just be atmospheric planes, if you wish.

Rules/Restrictions

1- It MUST be able to fly, otherwise there is no point in this challenge :)

2-When you test it, test it WITHOUT mods like FAR.

3-Mod restrictions:

B9 Aerospace

Quiztech Aerodyamics (and Fantomworks)

Kerbal Aircraft Xpansion

4-Your craft can have up to 6 engines (aircraft only)

Enjoy! 

Edited by Brickbuster

Aircraft engines will never reach orbit, you'll need rocket engines for that, and Rapiers are guide-lined to one per 15 tons of payload/fuel, with an engine limit of 6, that means your craft must not weigh more than 90 tons, or it will probably never reach space, and if it doesn't reach space, you can't call it a spaceplane.

but since we just determined a 90-ton limit, this challenge is moot. not even going to bother.

Edited by Xyphos

27 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

Aircraft engines will never reach orbit, you'll need rocket engines for that, and Rapiers are guide-lined to one per 15 tons of payload/fuel, with an engine limit of 6, that means your craft must not weigh more than 90 tons, or it will probably never reach space, and if it doesn't reach space, you can't call it a spaceplane.

but since we just determined a 90-ton limit, this challenge is moot. not even going to bother.

You.. can have a hybrid of the two types...

1 hour ago, Nich said:

40 t per rapier is possible if you don't need payload

then that equates to 240 tons maximum, and the "how heavy" question has been answered without the need to build / launch a vessel.
if the engine limit was removed, then I'd give it a try, but then everyone will be comparing vessel sizes, and proclaiming "mine's bigger!"

20 minutes ago, Xyphos said:

then that equates to 240 tons maximum, and the "how heavy" question has been answered without the need to build / launch a vessel.
if the engine limit was removed, then I'd give it a try, but then everyone will be comparing vessel sizes, and proclaiming "mine's bigger!"

It is still not an easy task and someone may be able to manage 41 or 42 per rappier.  At the end of the day this is a pretty pointless challenge I agree.

Edited by Nich

17 hours ago, Nich said:

It is still not an easy task and someone may be able to manage 41 or 42 per rappier.  At the end of the day this is a pretty pointless challenge I agree.

I know it is impractical, but I am a newbie so... I guess that explains? Maybe.?

Way back in .90 I made a space plane SO BIG.... that I had to keep it as far left as it would go...... or I'd lose a wing because of ... "objects" in my way.....

Might I also, again, remind peeps that the rules for this area clearly state that the OP has to prove the challenge possible by doing it... and posting the proof in the first post.

I assume that is to stop people like me suggesting that we move the entire Mun to a new orbit around Eve..... which, while I think about it... would be a nasty challenge to make you waste your time..... :)

29 minutes ago, kiwi1960 said:

Way back in .90 I made a space plane SO BIG.... that I had to keep it as far left as it would go...... or I'd lose a wing because of ... "objects" in my way.....

Might I also, again, remind peeps that the rules for this area clearly state that the OP has to prove the challenge possible by doing it... and posting the proof in the first post.

I assume that is to stop people like me suggesting that we move the entire Mun to a new orbit around Eve..... which, while I think about it... would be a nasty challenge to make you waste your time..... :)

Hyperedit :sticktongue:

On 4/2/2016 at 3:07 AM, Nich said:

Interesting. Can you get a screen shot of it please? :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.