Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

Mmmmm... I got me a new screen saver.

Someone mind reminding me exactly how the flight abort test is going to run? Will it be on a 'dummy' rocket, strapped to the pad, on a rocket lifting off, or just sitting by itself on the pad?

First test is Pad Abort, just the the pod on the pad. If this test goes well then the next abort test will be in flight at max q. If all goes well with that then the one after will be the real deal, trying to put one of these things into orbit.

Why is the trunk also "evacuated" by the launch escape system ? From the flight plan pictures i have seen the trunk doesnt even have a parachute. Is it not dead weight ? Why not only escape the capsule ?

Also, anyone knows why there are fins on the trunk ? What is the reason for those since F9 has no bottom fins? Wont it just shift the center of pressure forwards and create some instability ?

Thanks

Why is the trunk also "evacuated" by the launch escape system ? From the flight plan pictures i have seen the trunk doesnt even have a parachute. Is it not dead weight ? Why not only escape the capsule ?

Also, anyone knows why there are fins on the trunk ? What is the reason for those since F9 has no bottom fins? Wont it just shift the center of pressure forwards and create some instability ?

Thanks

I'm guessing the reason is to make the capsule aerodynamically stable during an abort.

Thanks

Capsules are built to naturally fly heatshield-first because of their low CoG. It needs the trunk and fins for aerodynamic stability, otherwise it would just flip inverted and pancake into the ground.

Thanks

People beat me to it, but I'd say that you need the trunk and its fins to ensure aerodynamic stability of the escaping capsule.

And the large thrust and gimbal capacity of the Falcon 9 first stage engines produce much more torque than the aerodynamic torque produced by the comparatively small fins during ascent, so it's not a hindrance for the whole rocket.

It's similar to Soyuz grid fins that deploy in an abort scenario to maintain stability. Orion uses steering motors on top of the LES tower (like Apollo) which is a much more complex and expensive solution.

I wonder if the test has ballast in the trunk to simulate the presence of unpressurized cargo.

I also wonder before why it needs escape with the trunk, the aerodynamic reason seems like the only possible reason, but I dont see much point, dragon can land and change orientation just using its 8 engines. Maybe there is another reason behind.

I also wonder before why it needs escape with the trunk, the aerodynamic reason seems like the only possible reason, but I dont see much point, dragon can land and change orientation just using its 8 engines. Maybe there is another reason behind.

Have you noticed that when landing, the Dragon is going in the opposite direction from when launching or aborting? It's bottom heavy, which is ok for keeping it upright when going down, but will make it want to flip around when going up.

Given the OP is apparently still around, would they mind changing the title to something like 'general spacex thread'? That's basically what this is at this point.

Have you noticed that when landing, the Dragon is going in the opposite direction from when launching or aborting? It's bottom heavy, which is ok for keeping it upright when going down, but will make it want to flip around when going up.

Right.

It's live now!

Cool, they show a checklist now pre-terminal count. Ok, it's a repeat what is being said, but it's fun to see them adding new things to every webcast.

Edited by Albert VDS