Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

If it's suits simply meant for protecting astronauts during ascent, pressure suits are likely (like the ones used in soyuz). Keep in mind that 'ascent' suits don't need to be that flexible once pressurised - they are only there to protect the astronauts from cabin depressurisation (and also offer some degree of protection against fire) - and only for the time needed for the launch escape systems to do their work and that the capsule gets back into survivable atmosphere.

While the pressure in those suits is equal to the cabin pressure,the joints are not stiff at all, and the astronauts are able to move with relative ease, (maybe even more ease than a mechanical counterpressure suit would allow) - plus, they can be equipped fast in case of emergency. If the cabin pressure drops, the suit's internal pressure will 'inflate' it, stiffening the joints and limiting the astronauts movements - but if it happens in a capsule, there's not a lot that astronauts could do anyway - automatic systems would kick in and make the necessary escape manoeuvers (and cabin depressurisation would most likely fall into the 'emergency abort' case for a mission :)

So, except from some helmet design changes, i doubt you could go far away from classic pressure suits meant for ascent.

Now, if musk want to design EVA suits, that's another story :) if they can come up with usable designs that allow for greater user dexterity than current EVA suits, then guess even Nasa will be interested :)

But don't mix up EVA space suits with space suits meant for protecting astronauts during ascent / reentry - the purpose is not the same :)

Now, if musk want to design EVA suits, that's another story :) if they can come up with usable designs that allow for greater user dexterity than current EVA suits, then guess even Nasa will be interested :)

they WILL be designing their own EVA suits for the Mars missions

• 2 weeks later...
From its inception, Orion was designed for "Apollo on steroids" missions.

This is one of my (many) issues with Orion and SLS. The mentality that we are redoing Apollo with Mars needs to end. That kind of infrastructure will never support a large-scale colonization. We would have a plaque and a pretty flag on Mars and that's it.

SpaceX knows where its at.

This is one of my (many) issues with Orion and SLS. The mentality that we are redoing Apollo with Mars needs to end. That kind of infrastructure will never support a large-scale colonization. We would have a plaque and a pretty flag on Mars and that's it.

Well, i actually would be pretty satisfied if a plaque and a pretty flag were to be planted on Mars before i die (in at least 50 years i hope). Colonization ? Probably in a few centuries but i don't see it in our lifetimes...

SpaceX's Dragon V2 never flew, and is even less capable that orion for mars-trip missions : less radioprotection, less supplies, more cramped...

SpaceX isn't magically going to make Mars a comfy place simply with their "revolutionary methods". I like it a lot but i think it's overrated, and the hype is way too high with Elon Musk and Mars

Warp drive confirmed. :cool:

Seriously, it's probably a schematic or something for the Mars Colonial Transporter.

The general consensus on Reddit is that SpaceX is using all the recent hype from The Martian to boost the attention they get from the MCT reveal. But is is also very possible (and more probable IMO) that SpaceX waits until the first stage landing to reveal the MCT, as this would make global headlines.

SpaceX's Dragon V2 never flew, and is even less capable that orion for mars-trip missions : less radioprotection, less supplies, more cramped...

SpaceX isn't magically going to make Mars a comfy place simply with their "revolutionary methods". I like it a lot but i think it's overrated, and the hype is way too high with Elon Musk and Mars

The Dragon V2 is not meant to go to mars, they will use the MCT for that. And Musk has made it clear that Mars will NOT be a "comfy place". It will be hard, probably miserable at times, especially with the initial settlers, but someone has to go first.

And the whole hype about SpaceX, I understand when people say that it is too much. But frankly they are making much more progress in the way of technology than NASA is. And I don't blame NASA, it is because Congress is in charge of the money.

The Dragon V2 is not meant to go to mars, they will use the MCT for that. And Musk has made it clear that Mars will NOT be a "comfy place". It will be hard, probably miserable at times, especially with the initial settlers, but someone has to go first.

And the whole hype about SpaceX, I understand when people say that it is too much. But frankly they are making much more progress in the way of technology than NASA is. And I don't blame NASA, it is because Congress is in charge of the money.

SpaceX is a launch provider; NASA is a space agency. They aren't competing. NASA funds almost everything SpaceX does.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anything other than the MCT architecture could hype up an industry veteran to that level. :P

Still, even with no actual release date, this is at least strong confirmation that SpaceX actually plans to make good on Elon Musk's informal promise to present the architecture to the public before the end of the year. If they have enough to show it off to press insiders, they probably have it release-ready, and (as mentioned before) are just waiting for the best possible time to drop the bombshell.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anything other than the MCT architecture could hype up an industry veteran to that level. :P

Even if it is the MCT architecture, a powerpoint wouldn't cut it. It must be something more mindblowing than just a few slides with architecture.

I guess we won't know until after RTF and probably after a successful F9 stage landing.

Large scale colonization is not happening any time in this century. This generation of spacecraft including will be long gone by the time we get to that point (if ever). Still, there needed to be a Model T before there was a Tesla and there needed to be a Wright Flyer before there was a 787. Nobody criticized the Spitfire because it couldn't do Mach 2.

Wait, wouldn't that put it like WAY beyond even the Saturn V?

Still no way near enough to manage the claimed 100 tons and 100 people to Mars while being fully reusable. And with reuse that would stick it in the SLS range of payload so only 120 tons max to LEO.

About twice as powerful as the Saturn 5. If I'm not mistaken, that means that it *can* lift up 200ish tons to LEO. Depending on how the interplanetary stage of the MCT looks/works, 100t to Mars doesn't seem all that unlikely. For all we know, the plan might include a a space freighter of sorts.

Edited by SargeRho