Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

that's a problem with ISS launches :) 1s window for the launch :(

they were basically monitoring if the anvil clouds (& associated lightnings) were arriving into the 10km range of the launch pad before or after the launch window. looks like the anvil clouds won the race today.

hope the weather around the barge will also play nice tomorrow :)

Where is the barge located when not at port? A quick google search didn't tell me.

Where is the barge located when not at port? A quick google search didn't tell me.

In the Atlantic, ~345km N-E of Cape Canaveral

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, weather for tomorrow is only 50% (today it was at 60%). Not sure if I'm even going to follow it, it's almost a certain scrub unless things change dramatically.

In the Atlantic, ~345km N-E of Cape Canaveral

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, weather for tomorrow is only 50% (today it was at 60%). Not sure if I'm even going to follow it, it's almost a certain scrub unless things change dramatically.

Thanks

Every single time I try to watch one, think it's like my fault or something, well, I'll skip the next one, guess getting it up is more important than me trying to see.

DANGIT Moon Goddess, you know you're not allowed to watch these things! *Sigh*

/justkiddingpleasedontburnmeatthestake

the barge location would depend on the orbit the rocket want to reach - for today, as they were trying to launch to ISS, the barge would be located somewhere along a northeast line from KSC, in the atlantic.

On a related note, I was thinking about the barge and its stability, and it occurred to me that it is located in the horse latitudes. (That is near 30, 60, 90 degrees north and south.)

That should make things a bit easier, I wonder why it wasn't noted before. (Or did I miss it?)

Update: Wikipedia and NOAA says it is just 30 - 35 north and south but my point still stands.

Edited by Leszek

So, here's something to discuss while we wait.

After thinking about ULA's mid-air recovery strategy, I've been wondering if a helicopter could be used to recover a cargo Dragon returning from orbit. Would be a neat way to circumvent exposure to salt water.

It would be possible, and much easier than booster recovery because you can make them reenter much closer to a helicopter base.

The USAF performed mid-air recovery of reconnaissance drones over Vietnam in the 60's. The Firebee drones weighed a little below a ton.

You'd still need a really big helicopter because the Dragon is about 4-tons empty.

Edited by Nibb31

It would be possible, and much easier than booster recovery because you can make them reenter much closer to a helicopter base.

The USAF performed mid-air recovery of reconnaissance drones over Vietnam in the 60's. The Firebee drones weighed a little below a ton.

You'd still need a really big helicopter because the Dragon is about 4-tons empty.

They've used a S-64 Skycrane for drop tests before. I'm not sure if they own the helicopter, however. They would probably need to redesign the Dragon's parachutes for mid-air retrieval as well.

After thinking about ULA's mid-air recovery strategy, I've been wondering if a helicopter could be used to recover a cargo Dragon returning from orbit. Would be a neat way to circumvent exposure to salt water.

I think the reentry itself is a lot more damaging than the salt water to be honest. I think the outer shell will be toast either way, and it's not like the inside will be exposed to salt water.

Isn't SpaceX's plan to land them on land via rockets? Like the crewed Dragon V2?