Impossible contract, I don't know who is at fault

10 hours ago, Nich said:

It will be happy with worthless science transmited

+1 to this.

Note that it doesn't say that you have to get any value for the science.  You can always get science, you just don't need to get the points.  So if you already have a ship parked there somewhere with an antenna and a science instrument, all you have to do is switch to it, take a measurement, transmit, and you're done.  Free money.

That's why it's a good idea, whenever you visit a new planet or moon, to leave a satellite or something in orbit around it with an antenna and, say, a thermometer.  That way, if you ever see a "Science data from space around X" contract pop up, you can grab it and get the money in about 30 seconds.  Switch to satellite, transmit a temperature reading, done.  :)

TL;DR:  Your contract is the precise opposite of impossible.  It's trivially easy.  Yay money!

(Note that there do exist impossible contracts in the game-- e.g. "mine X units of ore from Jool".  If you see one of those, steer clear of it.)

1 minute ago, Snark said:

+1 to this.

Note that it doesn't say that you have to get any value for the science.  You can always get science, you just don't need to get the points.  So if you already have a ship parked there somewhere with an antenna and a science instrument, all you have to do is switch to it, take a measurement, transmit, and you're done.  Free money.

That's why it's a good idea, whenever you visit a new planet or moon, to leave a satellite or something in orbit around it with an antenna and, say, a thermometer.  That way, if you ever see a "Science data from space around X" contract pop up, you can grab it and get the money in about 30 seconds.  Switch to satellite, transmit a temperature reading, done.  :)

TL;DR:  Your contract is the precise opposite of impossible.  It's trivially easy.  Yay money!

(Note that there do exist impossible contracts in the game-- e.g. "mine X units of ore from Jool".  If you see one of those, steer clear of it.)

Ok, I'll make sure to put an instrument on my scanner satellites.  I'll see how KIS does at adding one to the birds up there.  I don't have anything sitting on Minmus at present, though.

3 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I don't have anything sitting on Minmus at present, though.

Fair 'nuff, just land something on Minmus and you're good to go.

By the way:  Note that for vacuum worlds, "in space" means "not actually touching the surface."  You don't have to be orbiting, or way up in the sky.

So suppose you've landed a ship with thermometer and antenna on Minmus, but you don't have anything orbiting Minmus, and then a "science data from space around Minmus" contract comes in.  All you have to do is momentarily blip the engines to lift your ship off the surface, even if it's just a few centimeters, and grab a measurement off the thermometer before you touch down again.  Bam, done!  :)  (You don't have to transmit before touching down again, just take the measurement while off the surface.  Once you've got the measurement, it doesn't matter where you are when you transmit it.)

12 minutes ago, Snark said:

So suppose you've landed a ship with thermometer and antenna on Minmus, but you don't have anything orbiting Minmus, and then a "science data from space around Minmus" contract comes in.  All you have to do is momentarily blip the engines to lift your ship off the surface, even if it's just a few centimeters, and grab a measurement off the thermometer before you touch down again.  Bam, done!  :)  (You don't have to transmit before touching down again, just take the measurement while off the surface.  Once you've got the measurement, it doesn't matter where you are when you transmit it.)

Ooooh, that's evil! I never thought of that! Brilliant. I did cash in once though, on a contract to test the Wheesley "in flight" which consisted of flying 5m above the runway and landing again. :)

For gathering science at the surface I do recommend a Kerbal (supplied with a large pile a snacks and plenty of reruns of "the Kermans") just because then you can also cash in on those "Flag Plant" contracts. They're not as ubiquitous as in 1.0 anymore but still good for a quick buck. 

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Ooooh, that's evil! I never thought of that! Brilliant. I did cash in once though, on a contract to test the Wheesley "in flight" which consisted of flying 5m above the runway and landing again. :)

For gathering science at the surface I do recommend a Kerbal (supplied with a large pile a snacks and plenty of reruns of "the Kermans") just because then you can also cash in on those "Flag Plant" contracts. They're not as ubiquitous as in 1.0 anymore but still good for a quick buck. 

I'm planning a mining base there,  that means an engineer to run the drills.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Fair 'nuff, just land something on Minmus and you're good to go.

By the way:  Note that for vacuum worlds, "in space" means "not actually touching the surface."  You don't have to be orbiting, or way up in the sky.

You don't even need rockets if you have IR. I've used Infernal Robotics to create a heavy rover truck that can fold flat to fit in a fairing. Big mofo, too. On Mun and Minmus the hinges are powerful enough to launch the entire truck several meters off the ground.

If you get creative, you could probably have enough hangtime on Minmus by flipping open a well-placed lander leg on a small enough probe.

…or EVA a Kerbal and jump.

8 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

You don't even need rockets if you have IR. I've used Infernal Robotics to create a heavy rover truck that can fold flat to fit in a fairing. Big mofo, too. On Mun and Minmus the hinges are powerful enough to launch the entire truck several meters off the ground.

If you get creative, you could probably have enough hangtime on Minmus by flipping open a well-placed lander leg on a small enough probe.

Jump?  Use your backpack!

12 minutes ago, pincushionman said:

You don't even need rockets if you have IR.

Heck, on Minmus you don't even need IR.  If you've got pretty much any reaction-wheel torque at all, you can probably wobble your ship enough to leave the surface momentarily.

2 hours ago, pincushionman said:

Just EVA the Kerbal, unless your craft puts you right on the ground you're above the surface even still holding on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.