(1.1.0) Unity 5 has some issues with OS X, possibly other Unix systems.

So, I've been dealing with an instant crash issue in KSP, as reported here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137661-110-crashes-instantly-on-load-osx-edition/#comment-2529501

In my journey for an answer (nothing's worked yet), I came across this:  http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/our-game-no-longer-runs-on-mac-osx.395699/  Very recent thread, only started 20 days ago.  The error described there is exactly the error I'm getting.

Apparently there's some kind of conflict with Unity 5 and OS X and, in my situation, OSX, and other Unix-based machines.  The former I can confirm firsthand, the latter is more anecdotally.  Unfortunately, the fix appears to be squarely in the dev side of things.  I haven't found any way to do this on the user end (and I've been working at this for the last three days, there's no easy solution to it).

I know this isn't technically the right place to bring this up, but I hope this gets some visibility on behalf of non-forum users that might be having the same problem/for those that might have a fix for the problem.

Edited by MattJL

Well, it sucks that you're having problems but it's quite a stretch to claim, as you do in one of the posts of your Tech Support thread, that "all" OS X systems have problems with 1.1. I've been running 1.1 since the first week of the public betas as have a number of other folks with no such troubles. I strongly suspect, from the snippets of the Player.log you posted, that there's something going on with Unity 5 and the OpenGL drivers for your (older) system, rather than a generic OS X problem with Unity 5 or KSP.

6 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

Well, it sucks that you're having problems but it's quite a stretch to claim, as you do in one of the posts of your Tech Support thread, that "all" OS X systems have problems with 1.1. I've been running 1.1 since the first week of the public betas as have a number of other folks with no such troubles. I strongly suspect, from the snippets of the Player.log you posted, that there's something going on with Unity 5 and the OpenGL drivers for your (older) system, rather than a generic OS X problem with Unity 5 or KSP.

I wouldn't be surprised, but the fact that it's been reported elsewhere as a Unity 5 and OS X not getting along type issue has me curious.

Well, the odd thing is that there were some OSX beta testers who had no problems at all with the game.

There were several others who had insta-crashes, though. So, as LameLefty says -- I don't think it's universal on OSX. But that leads directly to the question of precisely what is it that makes in non-universal?

11 minutes ago, bewing said:

Well, the odd thing is that there were some OSX beta testers who had no problems at all with the game.

There were several others who had insta-crashes, though. So, as LameLefty says -- I don't think it's universal on OSX. But that leads directly to the question of precisely what is it that makes in non-universal?

Just to be clear - when I say insta-crashes, I mean the whole thing goes kaput - it launches for a split-second and then quits.  No black screen of death, just nothing.  It'd be really interesting to know what the common problem is (surely there has to be something that connects these things if they're all showing the same symptoms).

I have been running KSP 1.1 since open beta on a macbook Pro retina 2013.  OS X 10.10.4.  The only crash I experienced was after installing Kerbal Engineer Redux (KSP failed to even launch when KER was not able to check for an update).  I have not had a great deal of time to play but have launched rockets as far as the Mun and Minmus so far. 

2 minutes ago, ag3nt108 said:

I have been running KSP 1.1 since open beta on a macbook Pro retina 2013.  OS X 10.10.4.  The only crash I experienced was after installing Kerbal Engineer Redux (KSP failed to even launch when KER was not able to check for an update).  I have not had a great deal of time to play but have launched rockets as far as the Mun and Minmus so far. 

I'm "running" (not really much of a run) a stock install, so that's probably not the solution. :( 

4 minutes ago, bewing said:

You might want to read all the comments to this bug report: http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7499 -- see if trying them changes the behavior. Did you get this as a steam download?

-- especially, I think you may want to pay special attention to the very last comment.

Sorry, I missed your comment on my first go-round!  I'll start trying these tweaks.  It was not a Steam download, I got this right off the site.

Trying bewing's suggestion has not worked, I'm sorry to say.

However, this comment has me intrigued:

Unfortunately the OSX starting issue is perhaps a Unity issue, though one we're looking at mitigating on our side in the coming days.

Which supports my own theory about it being a Unity/OS X issue in some situations.

Edited by MattJL

Just a small update...

I tried booting into 64 bit mode (which is possible with my OS), but that didn't work (on either account, both doing so and getting it to work).  Are 64 bit OS X folk having the same issue?  My gut tells me no, and this may have something to do with this being a 32 bit system.

Might also be OpenGL related; we'll see.

9 hours ago, MattJL said:

Just a small update...

I tried booting into 64 bit mode (which is possible with my OS), but that didn't work (on either account, both doing so and getting it to work).  Are 64 bit OS X folk having the same issue?  My gut tells me no, and this may have something to do with this being a 32 bit system.

Might also be OpenGL related; we'll see.

64-bit here (Early '11 MBP Core i7), OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan. Like I said earlier, I've been running 1.1 for over a month, since the public betas. I haven't had a crash at all.  From the snippet of your log file I saw, I think some of your problems are likely due to OpenGL issues. 

I can suggest two things to try. First, as always with OS X when programs aren't launching, open up Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, just to eliminate that possibility. Second, open up your KSP installation folder and try to run the KSP Launcher. If that runs, click the little gear icon at the bottom and change your graphics options - reduce stuff to minimums, set the resolution to your monitor's native mode or lower, and uncheck the full screen button. Odd as it sounds, I've had much better performance in KSP since I unchecked Full Screen and then use the menu bar option to make the app full-screen through OS X.

Anyway, that's all I got. Good luck!

Edited by LameLefty

4 hours ago, LameLefty said:

64-bit here (Early '11 MBP Core i7), OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan. Like I said earlier, I've been running 1.1 for over a month, since the public betas. I haven't had a crash at all.  From the snippet of your log file I saw, I think some of your problems are likely due to OpenGL issues. 

I can suggest two things to try. First, as always with OS X when programs aren't launching, open up Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, just to eliminate that possibility. Second, open up your KSP installation folder and try to run the KSP Launcher. If that runs, click the little gear icon at the bottom and change your graphics options - reduce stuff to minimums, set the resolution to your monitor's native mode or lower, and uncheck the full screen button. Odd as it sounds, I've had much better performance in KSP since I unchecked Full Screen and then use the menu bar option to make the app full-screen through OS X.

Anyway, that's all I got. Good luck!

Alright, just ran a a permissions repair, and the end result is... no dice. :(

Now, the thing about the launcher is that I dragged it over from 1.0.5 because that breaks in the exact same way (the launcher insta-crashes) in 1.1 as well.  The 1.0.5 launcher works beautifully, and through it, I've managed to tweak a lot of settings (and generate a config file).  Problem is, when I click "play," the exact same issue happens with KSP proper.  I've done as you've said both by editing the config file and going in through the 1.0.5 launcher, but no dice, same story.

I wish I understood the problem, but I'm no closer to getting it than I was four days ago.

I think the key issue (that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet) is: 10.6.8

1.1 works perfectly fine on my machine (Mac Pro 2008 8 core 3GHz, Radeon HD 5770 graphics card) on 10.11.4 (El Capitan). I've had some issues with blurry UI and overheating when in the VAB (simply entering the VAB makes my fans spin up within seconds) but otherwise no problems at all.

However, it insta-crashes on 10.6.8. And the problems in that Unity dev thread, referring to OSX and OpenGL, also concern OS 10.6.8.

And the workarounds in the various other OSX bug reports that I've seen (like running fullscreen or whatnot) don't do anything at all.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.