Why doesnt my plane fly?

I have been playing career mode, and am trying to make a drone plane. But every time I try to fly it, It wont even manage to get off the runway. I have batteries so It has power, and the thrust to weight I believe is enough for lift off. And the CoL is behind the CoM so as far as I can tell there shouldnt be anything hindering this plane, but it just will not fly.

13081667_664095123728518_1381691122_n.pn

This is my craft at the moment. can anyone tell me what the heck the issue is?

11 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

This is my craft at the moment. can anyone tell me what the heck the issue is?

With just giving it a quick look, I see two things that you could change. 

First is to move the rear landing gear forward towards the CoM. The gear act like a fulcrum that the plane has to pivot around in order to take off. The CoM is the natural rotation point of the plane, so the closer those are together the easier it'll rotate for takeoff. 

Second is that you can add some angle of incidence to the wings. This is where, if looking at the screenshot, the wings go up and to the right, so that the front edge of the wings is higher than the back. The reason to do this is because in KSP wings will only generate lift if they have some angle of attack. Adding some incidence gives them a small angle of attack while the rest of the plane is at 0, and lets your plane lift off without having to pitch up very much (or at all). 

5 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

With just giving it a quick look, I see two things that you could change. 

First is to move the rear landing gear forward towards the CoM. The gear act like a fulcrum that the plane has to pivot around in order to take off. The CoM is the natural rotation point of the plane, so the closer those are together the easier it'll rotate for takeoff. 

Second is that you can add some angle of incidence to the wings. This is where, if looking at the screenshot, the wings go up and to the right, so that the front edge of the wings is higher than the back. The reason to do this is because in KSP wings will only generate lift if they have some angle of attack. Adding some incidence gives them a small angle of attack while the rest of the plane is at 0, and lets your plane lift off without having to pitch up very much (or at all). 

The landing legs thing fixed it. I COMPLETELY forgot that was a thing that needed to be done. Thanks a lot!

Imagine a lever (your plane). You pull it by the center of lift and there's a plane mass that hangs from the CoM. When on the ground, the pivot for your lever is your landing gear. In order for your plane to lift, the pivot should be closer to the CoM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.