Mega-Carrier - KSS Obsidian - Stock

Time to push the boat out. Literally! *Groan*

OK, here's the largest thing I've ever built I think. The KSS Obsidian Mega-Carrier!

867 parts. 3872 tons. 247.5m long. Almost a 1/4 of a kilometre of ship. You will need the Vessel Mover mod to move it to the sea of course.

EsOhUoC.jpg

OK, too big for the hanger...

o2lAUmV.jpg

xw85ivz.jpg

JTg7nL7.jpg

Has enough room to park jets on the side to allow a clear runway for landings.

o6vIdox.jpg

cdKUdlB.jpg

It also has a decent sized island for overseeing take offs and landings.

TGEz5Rc.jpg

WojKcpQ.jpg

Hot keys:

1) Toggles rear engines.

2) Toggles thrust reversal on rear engines.

3) Toggles bow engines to turn left.

4) Toggles bow engines to turn right.

Top speed is around 19 m/s. Obviously it is a little laggy but it still runs at about half speed on my PC which isn't state of the art. As a comparison, the US Nimitz class carriers are about 330m in real life. It leans a fraction to the right but I didn't want to add any more ore tanks to balance it out as I think 12 is enough. Sometimes planes wheels can stick to the deck when moving sideways on the deck, (not front to back though so landing is not affected), but that is just the way wheel physics work at the moment. Just lower and raise the gear quickly and you should unstick.

I would be interested to know how easy it is to land on it!

Download here > https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9mK0rPybNaxN1VVZDZRclFfZXM

Warning! Upon testing it looks like the carrier sometimes explodes if it is parked somewhere and you go back to it from the space centre. OK, that happens, it's KSP. However, I would recommend you press F5 to save the game before you go back to it. Unless you want to pick-up 800 odd pieces of debris:

lWFzeBL.jpg

:(

Edited by Redshift OTF

I loaded up the forums to download your other carrier for testing my Swordfish from the deck of a ship, but I found this one instead! Can't wait to try it out!

EDIT: Oh wait, it's almost 900 parts. Sorry, it looks cool, but I think I'll use your other carrier so I can get a higher frame rate.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

14 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I loaded up the forums to download your other carrier for testing my Swordfish from the deck of a ship, but I found this one instead! Can't wait to try it out!

EDIT: Oh wait, it's almost 900 parts. Sorry, it looks cool, but I think I'll use your other carrier so I can get a higher frame rate.

Lol no problem. It's probably not practical anyway. Especially if you have to press F5 after it has loaded just in case it explodes. I guess it's more of an exhibition piece.

I like the idéa of this one, and it is better looking than the Dominion, but when I was one metre from touchdown on a perfect approach at the end of the runway, the ship exploded. I think I will stick to the smaller carrier for now.

Edited by Zwolff

22 minutes ago, Redshift OTF said:

Lol,  yeah this one is crazy big but a bit too big for the game to handle. I learned a lot from building it though.

This is one of those times when bigger is better, nice craft build! 

Just an Fyi, About the 800 debris, KSP has settings to limit that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.