Anyone good with motherboards?

GalaxyGryphon

so, ive been planing on upgrading my mobo this week, since mine is discontinued and so is the processor line..

i plan on upgrading both the mobo AND the processor... the thing is, one half of the internet says i need to COMPLETELY re-install winows7 for the drivers to work, and the other half of the internet said 'na just put it in, windows7 should just do it automatically, you don\'t have to delete anything'

can someone who has actually HAD experience in this field help me out?

Hi Zelda.

When I have self built my computers in the past, now counting 3.

I have always completely started from scratch..

So Full build, starting with case, psu, an cpu+motherboard+ram.

As such new versions, of windows, so XP, VISTS an Win7.

I have upgraded my First computer, new CPU, Motherboard an Ram, an in that instance it was a fresh install of windows after harddrive reformat.

I HIGHLY recommend you format your C: Hard drive (After taking all important files off), an the reinstalling Windows with the new parts.

Good luck.

You do need to reinstall the Windows OS.

Give reasons why, or your statement will be dismissed.

Personally, I don\'t believe you will have to.

From what I understand, Windows keeps tabs on what hardware your computer has. Changing 1 or two things and Windows will accept it. Changing all the parts, and Windows thinks it\'s been copied/installed on a new computer (breaking the licensing agreement).

A mobo is the central point of all your hardware, so it\'s possible Windows would freak, but I really doubt it.

But honestly, just think about it it logically.

Before you replace any hardware, backup important data to a flashdrive just in case your computer explodes.

Try booting up without reinstalling Windows.

Doesn\'t work? Okay, then format C and reinstall.

No harm done if you try not re-installing Windows.

I\'ve built a couple computers myself. I upgraded my Graphics card recently, however I have never changed out a cpu/mobo.

I don\'t think it will cause problems, so long as your not going from a 64 cpu to a 32 bit cpu (with 64 bit windows installed).

Since you said your cpu is discontinued though, this is not the case.

thanks Ydoow! very informative

i plan on upgrading from 64 bit so its fine, but im upgrading from duel to quad core..

i have an external hard drive to back up all my documents game saves ect... but anyone whose had a computer and had it crash would KNOW how annoying it is to reinstall all those programs and make it just like the old one.

Are you using OEM copy or retail? If it\'s OEM then it\'s locked to your mobo but if it\'s a retail copy it should be fine but I\'ve never personally upgraded a mobo before so I\'m not sure.

um... how do i know?

i have the disk case right here

'windows 7 Home Premium'

If you bought it from a store it\'s definitely retail now if you bought it online it could be online. Was it the cheapest Win7 there?

Guest butt head

well i have not done this before but i know windows 7 locks its self to a mother board for anti piracy reasons so i would think you would have to reinstall it completey but i would just back EVERYTHING up and then change mother boards with out reinstalling the OS and if it works then great if not reinstall OS and go to that back up drive out and restore all you stuff

do not back up stuff on the same computer you are changing mother boards (see below theres an exception) windows allows you to do this as part of the sestume restore which saves your stuff on the SAME hard drive a 2nd time in a different place and allowing no direct changes which keeps it safe from hacks but not hard drive failure or reinstalling the OS (RAID not explained) nothing can survive these hard drive failure is a well duh kind of thing but an OS in formating the drive it cant save any thing all ready on it because it can not be determined what is on it so the back up that windows lets you put on that drive gets f***ed by windows but if your computer has more than 1 hard drive which ever 1 you will put the OS on will be wiped but the other totally fine so you could use the none OS drive to back up stuff (i would unplug the drive any ways just to be safe) i am not even going to get in to RAID set ups so if you need to know about it tell me

well i have not done this before but i know windows 7 locks its self to a mother board for anti piracy reasons so i would think you would have to reinstall it completey but i would just back EVERYTHING up and then change mother boards with out reinstalling the OS and if it works then great if not reinstall OS and go to that back up drive out and restore all you stuff

do not back up stuff on the same computer you are changing mother boards (see below theres an exception) windows allows you to do this as part of the sestume restore which saves your stuff on the SAME hard drive a 2nd time in a different place and allowing no direct changes which keeps it safe from hacks but not hard drive failure or reinstalling the OS (RAID not explained) nothing can survive these hard drive failure is a well duh kind of thing but an OS in formating the drive it cant save any thing all ready on it because it can not be determined what is on it so the back up that windows lets you put on that drive gets f***ed by windows but if your computer has more than 1 hard drive which ever 1 you will put the OS on will be wiped but the other totally fine so you could use the none OS drive to back up stuff (i would unplug the drive any ways just to be safe) i am not even going to get in to RAID set ups so if you need to know about it tell me

You need to use proper punctuation. I can\'t tell what you\'re saying half the time, because I can\'t tell where your sentences break...

I would advice to put all your important files on a separate partition on your HDD, and after doing the upgrade, just re install windows. It isn\'t hard, it doesn\'t take too long, and your PC will be way faster than running the old version.

Source: experience.

Also, could you please tell us your current hardware, and the hardware that you are planning on buying? Including chassis.

You need to use proper punctuation. I can\'t tell what you\'re saying half the time, because I can\'t tell where your sentences break...

youwouldhavehatedreadingancientgreekthenbecausethisishowitwaswrittentherewerenosentencebreaksnospacesbetweenwordsnocapitilizationitmusthavebeenawful

The motherboard is kind of central to your computer. If you haven\'t upgraded graphics recently, it maybe be better just to build an entirely new computer in your old case, rather then trying to just replace motherboard. Also have to check if your old processor acually will work with the new mobo.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.