Grand Tour +science +Biomes

I was trying to find if this was possible, as I am near the end of the tech tree and beginning to go out into space frequently with my kerbals. Rather than building one ship to go to each of these planets or bases, and given that the planets and moons have many different biomes, I was wondering how to do this.

Currently my Idea is to build a massive space station that is a host to a mining craft that will mine in low G and a small fuel efficient craft to buzz around the low g planets/moons collecting the data. I assume that I would need to have some kind of lander for higher G bodies as well...

I don't have to process the data on the bodies, I am quite fine with doing that on the station, I really just like the idea of this floating kerbal science station surveying all of the planets and moons in one trip.

What would I need to include, Does anyone have design ideas?

Some stuff to think about

Do Eve first-you will need a large lander, and you don't want to haul that around too much

Small miner to refuel a big mothership often needs several trips, so be patient

Pol, bop, gilly, minmus can be done with ions, RCS, or even EVA packs

Tylo needs a special lander, tons of dV and high starting TWR

Duna, Ike, Mun, Vall, Moho, Dres can be done with a single NERVA, or any decent Mun lander

I often use the drive section of my mothership as a detachable lander, why haul extra engines?

Solar doesn't work well past Duna, Bring an RTG or cells.

I'd recommend putting an ISRU on the Tylo lander if you're planning to use it for multiple biomes, that way you can mine fuel whilst on the surface. That is, if you're planning to build a spacecraft that's large enough.

Edited by eloquentJane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.