Scientific Instrument Progression

Hello Kerbonauts,

When Pathfinder was developed in the  they had a still frame camera and scientific instruments from 1996.

When Spirit and Opportunity developed they had scientific instruments from 2003.

When Curiosity was developed they had scientific instruments from 2012.

Get the point?

Scientific instruments should progress, and should all parts, but that thread already exists. Should instruments be develover time? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

And remember, as Steve Harvey says, always obey your moral barometer.

-aperture science employee 

More science instruments would be nice to have. We still lack a magnometer, cameras, telescopes and a few other things.

Not sure about the progression of scientific instruments, though. KSP was always meant to stay "balanced" and worse->better parts' progression would make some of them completely obsolete and useless.

Just now, Veeltch said:

More science instruments would be nice to have. We still lack a magnometer, cameras, telescopes and a few other things.

Not sure about the progression of scientific instruments, though. KSP was always meant to stay "balanced" and worse->better parts' progression would make some of them completely obsolete and useless.

I'm not saying upgradeable parts as the main point here, I'm saying different parts. Curiosity is going ot have more instruments(and better) than the MER(s). But upgradeable scientific instruments would add to progression. Better engines and such I disagree with because that messes with balance. But I'd like to see instruments advance in detail over time, like in our world.

I'm gonna note that the thermometer and barometer not being at the first science node doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and I'm not sure what the game-balance choice for it was. Was it so the massive, bulky science items came first, and the small, "physicsless" ones had to be earned?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.