Cant Deploy While Stowed is BACK?!?

AlamoVampire

@RA3236 When the issue first happened, i was in orbit. Engines were offline, throttle was 0 and SAS was offline. 

In some of the supplied pictures above you can see where i had tried a manual deploy of the nose gear. If you look at the little window with the wheel options on it, it shows the wheel thinks its blocked, but its not. The wheel is set in only as far as it goes when first attached when you first choose it and go to place it. 

I was requested by Arsonide to provide a stock parts only craft exhibiting this behavior and I have. I believe he will be passing it out to the experimentals team for further investigation. 

I believe you that you did not edit in the error message. When I heard that this issue was fixed I assumed that this whole check was just removed (because: Why does anyone need an automatic check for occlusion when activating a part? If you do not want to activate shrouded engines/antennas/landing gears just do not activate them.), but now it looks like it was just patched around. With predictable results.

Edited by cfds

Just curios, were you able to fly and land it by pulling that gear forward a bit or did that unbalance things too much?  I still haven't tried until I get my joystick out.

I don't think they ever said they were removing the check for stowed status, just refining it (and in particular removing the check once separated from the module witht he bay/fairing). It makes some sense, as there are parts that shouldn't be activated while stowed (landing gear come to mind in particular, but also solar panels and RCS ports, too).

I think there's a tradeoff at play here: Make the check for stowage too generous and it starts including things that clearly look like they're outside the bay/fairing, make the check too stingy and stuff that appears to be in bays/fairings starts to behave as if unshielded.

FWIW I sympathize with your frustration here, your design does seem to have been bitten by the stowage check being on the generous side. 

@WildLynx I gotta ask what mod or if not mod how do you get blueprint pictures like those? 

Also, i looked at the pics on my phone so i may not be able to see it but, i didnt see the orange error message of it refusing to deploy and to which part. But if i had to guess, its the umbrella-ish antenna giving fits?

@AlamoVampire it's Kronal Vessel Viewer.

@WildLynx the obvious origin is the presence of fairings during launch, but as to why they're still affecting things after fairing separation or even undocking/deorbit/delete I have no idea. On the other hand, your particular problem demonstrates details of this issue that aren't obvious in AlamoVampire's description but that might help to make a proper fix for it, so on that basis I would give a wave to @Arsonide here.

EDIT: not gonna argue with @Red Iron Crown, if ur playing 1.0.5.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

8 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Red Iron Crown But why is an algorithm to prevent things from doing things in cargo bays hampering things clearly not in cargo bays. 

I think its time to just remove the check completely.

I guess the algorithm is being too lenient in this case for what it considers stowed, or that the landing gear have their center in an odd place (I'm inclined to believe the latter in this particular case given that the wheel were just reworked).

As for eliminating the stowed mechanic altogether, I would be fine with that but I can see there are some cases where it's helpful. 

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Red Iron Crown Could you provide some examples of how its sometimes good? All I can see is how its needlessly hampering things.

I'm not Red, but I do see how it could prevent catastrophic unplanned disassembly by preventing the wheel mesh changes from forcing apart two otherwise connected parts.

I think it's a fine feature personally, have never experienced untoward behavior with it, and it seems like fixes/workarounds are pretty easy anyways. :)

@DuoDex I shouldnt need to work around a bad mechanic by say opening my cargo bay while trying to land just to deploy a wheel so i dont crash. Its an unwanted extra complication.

As to unplanned rapid disassemblies? Whats more kerbal than that? Having a game deliberately prevent you from making such a mistake, especially in a game where thats half the fun is ridiculous. It also robs you of an educational experience.

56 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Red Iron Crown Could you provide some examples of how its sometimes good? All I can see is how its needlessly hampering things.

Prior to 1.1 the only real benefit for an experienced player that I saw was disabling RCS ports for payloads inside a spaceplane bay, so that they didn't mess up the carefully balanced RCS system on the plane itself. For new players it offered some disaster proofing from staging errors and such, though I don't consider that a strong argument as explosions are excellent teachers for new players. :wink:

Since 1.1 the case that DuoDex alludes to of having landing gear destroy a craft if they are accidentally deployed inside a bay, even if visually they appear outside, became an important one even for experienced players. The craft shown in the OP was inconvenienced by not being able to deploy the gear and was saved by doing a water landing, if the stowed check didn't exist it would have broken the nose off if not worse. In a manner of speaking this mechanic likely saved your crew. :)

@Red Iron Crown Prior to this poor mechanic harming my ship it was able to land quite nicely. It made a water landing because i lost my wings and deployed the chutes. The wheels attach point is on the bay, the OUTSIDE of the bay. On the nose it could break off. This mechanic just needs to go or completely get reworked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.