Can anyone else not play without KER?

Dizzle

I currently use KER simply because I don't have to switch between map and flight screens just to check my periapsis on launch.  It is also helpful to have my orbit info all on one screen. Basically I only go to the map view to put in maneuver nodes.  Haven't used MechJeb yet and from looking at various screenshots of it, I doubt I ever will.  If I wanted to play a game that is just looking at readouts and clicking buttons, there are likely tons of games that are just that.  Sorry, but I like seeing the game not just a bunch of readouts.

However, all that is just my opinion.

On 6/22/2016 at 4:03 AM, eddiew said:

I can maybe get to LKO without KER... after a bit of trial and error. 

But I choose not to. I want to know if a mission will work on paper before it launches.

Yep, the days when I would launch rocket after rocket just to fine tune the TWR and Delta-V are over.

However, for new players, I suggest playing without any of these aids. It's fun for the first few dozen times.

On 22/06/2016 at 1:37 PM, Dizzle said:

now I struggle to even get into orbit if I can't get a delta-V readout. I mean, I can get into orbit, but everything is going to be way overbuilt.

If you'd like to re-acquire the ability to get to orbit, Mun and Minmus (and even beyond) without overbuilding, I highly recommend the Caveman Challenge to you. The part-count and weight limitations will stretch your abilities to the max.

I originally got it just so I wouldn't need to switch in and out of map mode. As I started using Remote Tech and trying to put relay satellites in exact orbits however, I needed it for the orbital period statistics. I've just continued getting more use from it since then. I love the alt. above surface readout, the biome readout, the vertical speed readout, and it goes on. It's a great mod and I love the HUD Windows as they're not very intrusive and you can select what you want posted in them.

And you can't forget the delta-v readouts in the VAB/SPH.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.