My FPS in the toilet

kozboy129

Ever since the 0.15.2 update i have been experiencing 'unplayable' lag. But since the fact this is my favorite game i continue to play. I\'m talking about 1 fps no matter what im doing. I have made it to the mun(lucky with 1 fps) but crashed do to the fact i couldnt control my rocket. The strange thing is im getting 60+ fps when building my rockets but the second i try to launch i get a max of 2 fps >:((setting all the way down). I know a lot of people are experiencing performance issues in this update but none seem quite as bad as mine(that i know of), I honestly think its my machine, its a laptop and im thinking about saving some money for a nice gaming desktop.

Processor: AMD C-50 1 GHz

6 GB RAM

64 bit OS

AMD A50M Fusion Chipset

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried this?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=13682.msg207992#msg207992

It improved my frame rate when on the ground from 3-4 fps to 30+...

If you get a decent framerate when looking straight up into the sky so the planet is not visible, but the framerate tanks as soon as you look down at the planet, this will probably help you a lot.

I umped on this right away but unfortunately it would appear that my fps issues were not caused by kerbins new textures, even with the very low setting i continued to only get 1-2 fps while launching, i havent gotten my rocket that far out but ill update you when im out of range from kerbin

Do you have a lot of debris floating around? I\'ve found that I can make the game run much better by deleting all debris that isn\'t landed. Just go into the persistent file (be sure to back it up first!) and have a go at it.

If you don\'t care about preserving certain things that are on the map, you could also replace your persistent file with the attached blank one.

Also, press alt f2 in game and see if you get any errors in the screen that opens.

As for clearing debris you don\'t need to download a blank persistent.sfs. Just delete your persistent.sfs file and the game will generate a new blank one when you start it.

That might be the cause of your low fps. Try deleting the persistent.sfs file or performing a clean install of the game. This will delete all your flights tho... Make sure to back up any .craft files, screenshots before making a clean install.

You have more than enough RAM. The problem is most likely that you have an APU (graphics are integrated into the processor), and not a standalone dedicated graphics card. I used to be able to play KSP on my integrated graphics, but now I have to use the dedicated GPU. It is not possible to upgrade the graphics card on all laptops, and if it is it may be a process which involves disassembling the whole laptop. If you were on the fence about getting a good desktop, I\'d say jump for it. However, if you were looking to keep this laptop for another couple years and a GPU upgrade is possible it may be worth the investment.

There is a very rare and hard-to-track-down bug whereby some orbiting objects end up with impossible numbers describing their irbits. Every time the game tries to process one of these objects, it sends an error report - and it is the error reporting every frame which is causing the lag!

The simplest solution is to delete the persistent.sfs file. It can be edited, but that is a rather complex and time-consuming business.

There is a very rare and hard-to-track-down bug whereby some orbiting objects end up with impossible numbers describing their irbits. Every time the game tries to process one of these objects' date=' it sends an error report - and it is the error reporting every frame which is causing the lag![/quote']

I had this happen with some debris which I submerged using the submarine mod. Could it be something to do with objects which have negative height? I fixed it by temporarily setting allowed debris to 0, which of course deleted it. It was right off the end of the runway, so naturally quite disruptive. ::)

Here\'s one more idea.

Someone suggested lighting up the launch pad using other vehicles with floodlights. It looks really cool, but lights shining on a large craft cause noticeable lag. My first attempt had four different ones, and it put my FPS in the basement. (Since I don\'t have a basement, the computer did not like it at all!) Since your hardware is not a high-end gaming monster, just one floodlight might be doing this to you.

If the lag goes away once you get clear of the light source, that\'s probably it. The cure is to \'end flight\' of the offending floodlight vehicle, or simply delete your persistent.sfs like the others have already suggested.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.