An obvious first question....

Protagonist

Hi, this is my first time posting here and, as the title suggests, I have an obvious question....

What are the best mods and where can I find them? :D

So far I\'ve been doing quiet well with the vanilla KSP. Having only had it 4 days. So far though, my biggest problem is a mun landing. I can get a circular orbit around mun with high success but landing seems almost impossible with the craft I\'ve been building. I need a flat surface to place landing gear and RCS thrusters, the fuel tanks don\'t cope well with landing in my experience. I\'ve experimented with a space plane lander but it messes up the weight distribution at launch, causing it to topple over.

Any mods that would help build a better mun lander would be great for now.

A lighter build for launch would also be REALLY helpful.

Any ideas anyone?

What kind of rocket are you building that you can\'t land on the mun? I would like to see that rocket.

And as for mods, I cannot help you with that because I think playing vanilla is more worth it because it\'s more accurate since the devs are better than modders. But a mod that I used was Nova Punch (I think) it\'s cool to play with but you know, I don\'t like mods... ;)

What kind of rocket are you building that you can\'t land on the mun? I would like to see that rocket.

The penultimate stage usually consists of a fuel tank and rocket. I\'ve been strapping landing struts to the side of a fuel tank but, because of the circular shape, the struts are never quite even. It has a habit of toppling over and exploding... The only idea I have to fix this is to place the struts all around it..It wont be pretty but it could work.

vanilla is all you need for a mun or minmus landing, this was my first successful mun lander.

maybe try slowing down your speed to under 10m/s when attempting a mun landing.

I didn\'t know we had tiny rockets! I\'ve been trying to get around the problem of landing gear being to small to extend beyond the exhaust!

I guess my inexperience is showing through. :(

I\'ll give this a try, thx.

and don\'t forget R.C.S. it\'s a life saver.

good luck.

I\'m going to second this, because when I figured out how to use fins as landing legs (back in the day when we didn\'t have those fancy deployable legs) my lunar landers would always topple over or twist the fins until they broke upon landing. This is because I wasn\'t using RCS to negate my horizontal velocity. Put RCS thrusters at the top and bottom of your lander for maximum efficiency. Negating the horizontal velocity is just as important as the vertical velocity.

The penultimate stage usually consists of a fuel tank and rocket. I\'ve been strapping landing struts to the side of a fuel tank but, because of the circular shape, the struts are never quite even. It has a habit of toppling over and exploding... The only idea I have to fix this is to place the struts all around it..It wont be pretty but it could work.

Do you use the symmetry tool?

Use three landing legs. Because three points define a plane, all three legs should remain on the surface. Obviously that\'s only any good if your centre of gravity isn\'t so high it ends up falling over anyways :P

Do you use the symmetry tool?

Use three landing legs. Because three points define a plane, all three legs should remain on the surface. Obviously that\'s only any good if your centre of gravity isn\'t so high it ends up falling over anyways :P

Use the button in the top left corner of the screen while building your rocket. I\'m sure you\'ll figure out how to use it yourself :)

Hi, this is my first time posting here and, as the title suggests, I have an obvious question....

What are the best mods and where can I find them? :D

So far I\'ve been doing quiet well with the vanilla KSP. Having only had it 4 days. So far though, my biggest problem is a mun landing. I can get a circular orbit around mun with high success but landing seems almost impossible with the craft I\'ve been building. I need a flat surface to place landing gear and RCS thrusters, the fuel tanks don\'t cope well with landing in my experience. I\'ve experimented with a space plane lander but it messes up the weight distribution at launch, causing it to topple over.

Any mods that would help build a better mun lander would be great for now.

A lighter build for launch would also be REALLY helpful.

Any ideas anyone?

I use a crapload of mods and some of my favorites are;

1. Mechjeb

2. Kosmos design borough

2. HTSW Gemeni

4. Novapunch and Nova\'s other mods.

5. Souyuz

6. HTSW Cart

7. Kerpollo

These are a few I use. don\'t let others discourage you from using mods. They are a brilliant addition to the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.