Undeployed parachutes break at 1000 m/s?

So I was planning to go to space but failed a little so I aborted the flight.

Keep in mind that I was in the atmosphere the whole time.

at <1000 m/s my undeployed parachutes broke (in the lower atmosphere), how come that they broke?

(No clipping involved)

In what way did they break? Did the part just explode? If it exploded, then check the mission log (press F3 ingame, by default) and see what it was caused by. I think it will probably say either "[Insert parachute name] exploded due to overheating" or "[Insert parachute name] collided/crashed into [insert part name or "terrain" here]". If it didn't explode, then did any text appear on the screen or mission log? This can also be caused by you arming the parachutes at one point by attempting to deploy them in space. Did you stage them, or deploy via right click while in space?

12 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

In what way did they break? Did the part just explode? If it exploded, then check the mission log (press F3 ingame, by default) and see what it was caused by. I think it will probably say either "[Insert parachute name] exploded due to overheating" or "[Insert parachute name] collided/crashed into [insert part name or "terrain" here]". If it didn't explode, then did any text appear on the screen or mission log? This can also be caused by you arming the parachutes at one point by attempting to deploy them in space. Did you stage them, or deploy via right click while in space?

They just 'flew' off, destroyed by aeroforces (no overheating). They didn't stage/deploy. The parachutes were in 2 stages so that eliminates the accidental staging.

Edited by ToukieToucan

1 hour ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Do you mean the undeployed parachute part detached from your craft (might have a structural failure text in the mission log)? That might be the weirdest thing I've ever heard, at least in KSP!

No structural failure, I'll provide pics.

As you can see, the craft has 2 stages for parachutes at stage 0 and stage 1.

The logs report that parachutes broke sometime during stage 3.

http://imgur.com/a/nJPvK

The weird thing is that even the mk16 broke...

No overheating occurred during the flight.

1000 m/s is much too fast. That are 3600 km/h or 2237 Miles per hour.

It says: "Chutes destroyed by aero forces and heat". That means: you was too fast in the thickest part of Atmosphere. The aerodynamic Pressure and Friction was too high.

And let me guess: Your Ship had Heat-effects while start?

At start keep your speed lower than 300 m/s, until you've left the thickest Part of Atmosphere.

After you have left the thickest part, just accelerate to a speed, which does not generates heat-effects. And do not use physical timewarp while start. It does additional increase the physical forces to the ship-parts, not only the timespeed.

Can you record a Video of the start and upload it? :)

Edited by Nexis

Or keep you g-force under 3 (I prefer to keep under 2 for control but I've never had a parachute overheat to breaking point at 3 they go red in the staging but cool back down and work fine).

4 hours ago, Nexis said:

1000 m/s is much too fast. That are 3600 km/h or 2237 Miles per hour.

It says: "Chutes destroyed by aero forces and heat". That means: you was too fast in the thickest part of Atmosphere. The aerodynamic Pressure and Friction was too high.

And let me guess: Your Ship had Heat-effects while start?

At start keep your speed lower than 300 m/s, until you've left the thickest Part of Atmosphere.

After you have left the thickest part, just accelerate to a speed, which does not generates heat-effects. And do not use physical timewarp while start. It does additional increase the physical forces to the ship-parts, not only the timespeed.

Can you record a Video of the start and upload it? :)

Well they weren't deployed soooo... 

3 hours ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

Nexis, this is not a thread for basic rocketry guides. It is not very probable that Toucan deployed them, so this gotta be a bug. Either the parachutes somehow deployed for no real reason, or something more weird happened. #SquadPleaseSeeThis

I just wanted to be sure, that he has not started with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Atmosphere. I said nothing from deploying. Look at his Images, it happened a few Minutes after start.

If you fly with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Kerbins Atmosphere, there are Heat-Effects (Friction-Heat), which could destroyed his Parachutes, even undeployed.

I had never flew with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Atmo :wink: but it is certainly not good ^^

So i have not gave him basic rocketry guide. I have give him a suggestion how to start a rocket correctly, so that he can test if the chutes nevertheless burn up. Do they not burn up while he fly how i suggested, then is was definetely a mistake to fly with triple supersonic speed through the thickest part of Kerbins Atmo :P

@ToukieToucan

Start how i suggested and test if your Chutes still burn up (Not more than 300 m/s in thickest part of Atmosphere and without physical timewarp). I just want to exclude pilot errors :)

Because sometime the Bug sit between Monitor and Keyboard :D

Edited by Nexis

Parachutes can be activated but not deployed, as long as they are not activated that won't be damaged unless the part itself is destroyed.

But your mods could have changed this, if you have not activated your chutes then try looking through your mods for any that change parachute behaviour, and adjusting their settings or removing them.

7 minutes ago, Nexis said:

I just wanted to be sure, that he has not started with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Atmosphere. I said nothing from deploying. Look at his Images, it happened a few Minutes after start.

If you fly with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Kerbins Atmosphere, there are Heat-Effects (Friction-Heat), which could destroyed his Parachutes, even undeployed.

I had never flew with 1000 m/s in the thickest part of Atmo :wink: but it is certainly not good ^^

So i have not gave him basic rocketry guide. I have give him a suggestion how to start a rocket correctly, so that he can test if the chutes nevertheless burn up. Do they not burn up while he fly how i suggested, then is was definetely a mistake to fly with triple supersonic speed through the thickest part of Kerbins Atmo :P

It was not a mistake, I and many others flew at such speeds below 1 km without damage, even with parachutes attached. This cannot happen without parachutes being deployed or a bug.

3 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

It was not a mistake, I and many others flew at such speeds below 1 km without damage, even with parachutes attached. This cannot happen without parachutes being deployed or a bug.

Ok. Can it not happen even you do this with maximum physical timewarp?

And here is spoken of mods which could change the conditions of the Chutes.

When adding up all effects ...

• + 1000 m/s in thickest part of Atmo
  • + maximum physical timewarp
  • + mods which change the conditions of chutes

... stronger forces could impact on his parachutes than on your or my Flight of the same Rocket.

20 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Parachutes can be activated but not deployed, as long as they are not activated that won't be damaged unless the part itself is destroyed.

But your mods could have changed this, if you have not activated your chutes then try looking through your mods for any that change parachute behaviour, and adjusting their settings or removing them.

Probably, parachutes on other crafts work fine, haven't tried it with crashed vessel.

Were they white when you staged them? If yes then they should have survived, though it's possible your Physics.cfg is bad and needs replacing, try renaming it, KSP will make a new one.

If you're starting KSP via a shortcut or ckan make sure the target directory is the KSP folder, or put ckan inside the KSP folder.

Also try starting the KSP.exe directly.

5 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Were they white when you staged them? If yes then they should have survived, though it's possible your Physics.cfg is bad and needs replacing, try renaming it, KSP will make a new one.

If you're starting KSP via a shortcut or ckan make sure the target directory is the KSP folder, or put ckan inside the KSP folder.

Also try starting the KSP.exe directly.

I believe they were white, I'll rename it as soon as it happens again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.